21 February, 2014

A little lifting of the spirit

I don't know what it was -- the sunshine or something - but I started to feel a little less crabby yesterday afternoon.  It wasn't raining and I needed fresh vegetables for salad, so I took the bus up to the store, stopping into my LYS to buy a silly, furry pom-pom for the hat.  And then there I was, standing in the sunshine and I thought how lovely it would be to walk the mile back to work.  My toe wasn't hurting much and oh, wouldn't it be fine to walk down the Ave and look into the windows and ... and then reality smacked me across the face.  So I went instead back up to the bus stop and called it good.  I mean really - I was actually considering walking back to work!  The good news is that I stopped myself.  You know, this is just the type of thing that made it such a long painful process to rehabilitate my ankle in 2004.  Gosh, 10 years ago.  But it was a painful lesson.  I hurt my ankle in November, right at Thanksgiving time.  And I kept re-injuring it because I didn't take it slow.  An injury that should have taken 8 weeks to heal ended up taking more than four months.  So I am proud of myself that I did not over do it yesterday even though I was feeling quite well.  Today we will get another X-ray and see what's what.  I wish it felt a bit better, frankly.  But if the doctor can give me permission to start getting out of this boot I'll be very happy.

I finished up that cute hat last night.  It is adorable!  Especially with the pom-pom.  Pictures will be posted.  I believe I did something wrong with my decreases though, because my stitch count was off and I just had to do three rows with the single yarn and the pom-pom does cover it up.  The brass sequins in the silk yarn, Stargazer, adds such a nice weight to the thing.  And soon I'll get another YarnBox - like probably this weekend. 

After the doctor I will wind up the Madeline Tosh and maybe start casting on.  It's going to be a fiddly cast-on for the Hitofude because it's a provisional cast on.  It calls for the crochet version but I prefer this version.  It worked well for me in the past and since there are quite a few stitches to cast on I'd rather do it this way than picking up stitches from a crochet chain, especially with fingering weight yarn!

Hooray for Friday.

No comments: