14 April, 2006

Done with jury duty

Well, that wasn't so bad after all. I did get called out for one jury, but in the end the defense lawyer dismissed me. Good thing too because I didn't like him one bit. He was smarmy and icky.

It was very very different getting up in the morning and going out to catch a bus downtown. It has been so long since I've taken public transportation to work. The bus was clean and not full and it was a very quick ride. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to do it every day. But it was an interesting change of pace.

I sat in the jury room, iPod plugged into my ears to block out the inane chatter, and knit and knit away on my socks. I got one finished and started a second one. I was the only knitter in the whole group. Several people came up to see what I was doing and comment. Yesterday a man approached and said that he noticed I was knitting socks. Did I ever do two at once? And I told him I knew it was possible but when I tried I couldn't get the heel/gusset pick up thingie. He then told me that his wife owns a yarn shop in Issaquah (not very far from Seattle) and that she could help me. Oh joy. He also said that he told her I was the only one knitting there and she thought it odd as well. Isn't it funny - I mean, relatively speaking there aren't that many knitters in the world but we all seem to think that *everybody* knits. Or should. Well, if I ever get up the gumption again to try two at once from the top down I might go out and see her before I do. I am quite happy doing one at a time. They go quickly when you're not dinking around with lace patterns. And it's nice having a teensie, portable project you can throw in your bag and pick up any time. The pattern is easily memorized, you really don't need a tape measure even. I am going to finish the pink ones, then re-roll my Koigu and start again with plain socks and then when I have done those I've got recycled cashmere and I'm going to make cashmere socks. Yummmm, huh?

No comments: