27 April, 2006

Oh I could just kick myself!!

I was working on my x-back tank last night. I finished the front and had to start work on the straps and thought I'd slip it on once more. I had slipped the body on and it seemed a little big .... but I thought it would work. You know where I'm going with this .... I put it on after finishing the front and realized that it was just too big around! It needs to fit somewhat snuggly so that it doesn't sag when you have the straps the right length. In other words, a combination of not having the gauge quite right and wrong size. If I had made the small it would have worked but the medium is gigantic. I thought I had the gauge right but it was very difficult to count those seed stitches and ribbon yarn is notoriously stretch-prone. While I can definitely be considered a "process knitter", I wanted to wear this!! So I am going to have to frog the thing and start over in a smaller size. I have never been this close to the end and then had to start over before. It's disheartening, but at least it's a quick knit. And ribbon yarn ends are so bloody difficult to hide that I think as I am frogging the thing I'll sew the ends of the yarn together as I come to them. It'll make for a much tidier end product. I guess that's the silver lining.

I was so disgusted I needed to just step away before I threw the whole project, basket and all, across the room. I stepped out on my deck to survey the havoc that comprises my back garden and as I was standing there looking at the tangled mess and wondering if I could summon the strength to tackle it on Sunday, a hummingbird flew right up to me! Gorgeous bright pink head. I was astonished. It must have mistaken me for a flower, ya think? That means I am bee-you-ti-full as a flower!! And then I looked over in the tree at the nesting squirrels and noticed that the blue jays are back as well. It's like a wildlife refuge back there! So then I came inside and knit a flower and felt better.

As Nonnahs suggested, "Lost" is addictive and so I went downstairs to watch the fourth episode on the second disk. Then I packed up the two movies I had from Netflix that I hadn't even watched and put them in the mail this morning along with the finished 2nd disk so I could get 3 by the weekend! I am hopeless. Also, last night was a big catch-up episode, so I recorded that because I don't want to watch it until I get at least caught up with the first season. Hopefully I can get the second season in re-runs this spring and summer. Everyone else will be gnashing their teeth for a new episode but they'll be new to me!

No comments: