11 August, 2010

Round tires AND a greased chain

I am not always on top of maintenance for my bicycle, (I know, hard to imagine) even though it does have 80 or so miles put on it weekly. I do keep track of my commute time and I've been off by as much as 60 seconds to my 30 minute mark. And I have also noticed that I have not been shifting easily and last night at the bottom of the hill (oh that hill) my chain caught as I was shifting from the largest to the middle sprocket. I am in DIRE need of a tune up, but I can't do it until I am gone to Arizona next week. So I did (finally) grease it this morning before taking off and I was at my parking spot 2 + minutes earlier than I had been this past month and 30 seconds early to my 30 minute marker. So - conclusion: keep the tires pumped up and the chain greased!!! [I am just so lazy is what it is]. I will for sure take my bike in to be serviced next Wednesday and they'll have a full 7 days to take care of it. It'll be like a new bike.

What I learned about fantasy football yesterday: When drafting, keep track of what the other teams are doing as well. Also, the bye week is not all that important. Rather better to pick the best players you can get on your team and let the bye weeks fall as they may. I signed up for a team yesterday. My draft is on August 28 at 3 in the afternoon. Now I have to practice drafting and watch pre-season games with an eye on the important players. I can see how people can really get sucked into this. It can be as complicated as you care to make it.

No knitting last night. I was a sweaty mess when I got home and after my shower I just collapsed in my favorite chair with a glass of wine and my iPhone (Angry Birds how I do love thee) and played games until it was time to cook dinner. I cooked some Mahi-Mahi and made a little salad and cooked some fresh pasta sauce made from a clove of garlic, some olive oil, a couple of tomatoes and fresh basil. Then I tossed it with linguine and grated Parmigiana and oh! was it ever good! I could not get rid of the smell of garlic from my hands all night long though. I washed them half a dozen times at the very least and used strong lavender hand cream to no avail. Oh, but totally worth it.

But speaking of knitting -- I need to come up with a project to take with me to Arizona next week. It is triple digit hot there. And even though every place has A/C I still don't want to be dragging around a big ol' sweater. I am really off socks, especially since I can't find my other size 2 Addi. But socks truly would be the ideal project. Perhaps I'll take a good look around. I have only cursorily looked for it. We know it couldn't have walked off on its own. The problem is that it's not where it should be. If I can't find it I am not going to buy another size 2 long circular needle just for one pair of socks I don't need. Maybe I could start working on baby things. Or I could do another mini-shawl/scarf. Endless possibilities, yes.

I woke up with my stomach growling in the middle of the night. That is very odd for me. Therefore after a long bike ride and a cup of tea I am most certainly ready for some solid food. More than ready.

No comments: