03 August, 2010

Warm and fuzzy buzz kill

I left work yesterday evening feeling great and it lasted nearly all the way home until some rude jerks ruined it.  It was a lovely afternoon and the trail was full of people running and biking, almost like a weekend.  At lunchtime I had walked down to the bike store and bought myself a new pair of biking gloves.  Very comfy and cute too.  So I was feeling just wonderful until  I approached my left turn spot, where I start my two mile climb back home.  Coming towards me were two women running and a man riding his bike.  I signaled my intention to turn. For obvious reasons one doesn't want to come to a full stop before climbing a hill but rather keep up the momentum and hope it carries you a ways.  All the man on the bike would have had to do was either nod at me that I should go or slow down, but he chose Option C -- to barrel through and make me come to a stop.  Okay, that's fine.  I took a couple breaths and circled around to get a little run at the hill on the road, still needing to cross the trail.  I got up a little head of steam parallel to the trail and checked to see if anyone was coming.  There was a woman behind me.  I signaled to show I was going to turn left in front of her - she wouldn't have had to slow down - and started to go.  She sped up!  I had to brake, this time quickly, so that we wouldn't collide.  Honestly!  I swore and I could hear her down the way ... "Soooorrrry". 

The lilies I picked this weekend are very VERY fragrant still and blooming.  They are just astonishing.  After my shower I settled in my comfy chair across from the lilies with a nice glass of sparkling wine and tried to get back to my happy place.  I worked a bit on the Cloisonne jacket - finished the set up and started the first of 40 rows of stranded color work.  And all I have to say is ... yikes.  The front side is going to be okay but I wasn't even thinking about the fact that this has a wrong side as well and I'm going to have to purl in pattern.  I guess I really do learn something new with every project.

I'm having a few people over for dinner on Saturday night and so I started going through my cookbooks after dinner, looking for something different.  I've got a couple ideas but nothing definite yet.  I know I don't want to go crazy.  Maybe one semi-difficult dish and the rest simple.  Then I started watching "The Big Chill" but I couldn't get into it.  The soundtrack is still awesome but otherwise it seems so dated.  So I put the cookbooks down and went up to read.  I will have to decide on something tonight or tomorrow at the very latest.  Oh ... and I haven't told Doug I can't rehearse on Saturday yet.  Better call him as well.  He's not going to be too happy about that.  We haven't had a rehearsal since before we went to Hawaii!  But I'm getting lots of knitting done. 

No comments: