05 January, 2011

The case of the disappearing nickel

I decided last night that it would be prudent to take the bus this morning rather than bike in since it was surely going to be raining and miserable and I am just getting over a cold.   I managed to pop out of bed after only one bonk of the snooze bar and decided what to wear while I was in the shower (as opposed to standing in front of the closet, where I can spend upwards of 10 minutes trying to decide).  I was in very good shape, time-wise.  Of course there is an App for everything, is there not?  A friend had told me about a bus app that tells you where your bus is and when it is expected to reach your stop so I was able to monitor my bus as I was getting everything ready to go.  Oh!  And my sister gave me a new umbrella for Christmas.  I hate to retire my gorgeous little animal print umbrella that I bought when I was in Paris, but it has gotten to be more of a weapon, what with all the little bits of metal poking out of it at odd angles.  I have given it a place of honor on my shelf and taken up with a snappy little black number with multi-colored polka dots.  Last thing I had to do upstairs was make sure I had the bus fare.  There is a little cup I  keep on top of the dryer and when I find change after doing a wash I put it in this cup and I have a ready supply of change for the bus.  I grabbed a nickel, went back to my room, picked up my iPhone and reached for my bus fare but the nickel was not there.  I didn't have time to turn in circles looking for it so I grabbed another one and went downstairs to finish getting my things together.  As I was walking down hill towards the bus stop I felt something in my boot.  It took me about 4 more steps to realize it was the missing nickel.  How did it get in my boot?

I had a good day working from home yesterday.  Mr. M was out the greater part of the day with the contractor getting cabinets, etc. for the remodel of the rental property, so I had a nice quiet house.  I kept it warm, kept myself hydrated and today I'm feeling pretty darned good.  My cough is almost completely gone.  Hopefully I have figured out the odd ball pattern directions for my new project and last night after dinner I sat down to watch the entire second season of  "Eastbound and Down" which I had recorded a few days ago and got a good bit done on that bodice.  I can't understand why the pattern doesn't have any measurements or even a schematic!  It really annoys me, in case you haven't noticed.  But knitting in the round goes so quickly I am now about 20 rows from finishing the bodice -- or at least to the point where the pattern says to bind off.  I'm going to put it on a longer cable and make sure it fits before I cast off.

No comments: