24 January, 2011

Yeah ... well ...

Home finally.  Obviously I didn't send any blogs from the trip for a few reasons.  Let's see .... we got to Houston on Saturday late. I was told there was a shuttle bus just outside of the baggage claim area that would take us to our hotel in Galveston.  Unfortunately that was not the case by the time we landed and so our only recourse was a taxi ride.  Which was $100.  Ah well, vacation.

Sunday it was just coming down in buckets and we needed to get to the terminal quickly so that we could catch the Seahawks/Bears football game.   Lucky for us they were playing the game on a big screen in the terminal so we could watch as we were preparing to get on board.  But once on board they couldn't get the game on their satellite so that was that.  It wasn't until later that evening when we were able to catch some scores on ESPN that we saw the Seahawks had lost.  It was a very long shot anyway and quite thrilling.  During the game they lost two of their major players to concussion and that throws a monkey wrench into the best of teams.

Once we got going down south the weather changed and it was just beautiful and warm.  Because of the motion of the ship it wasn't always comfortable to sit outside but I could always find a cozy corner to knit and listen to my audiobook or just day dream.

Tuesday was our day in Jamaica.  Mr. M had been quite keen on the Zipline adventure and since I'm not at all keen on heights I chose a more sedate tour and off we went our separate ways.  It was hot but I had a very nice tour of an old great house with a shady past owner who had murdered 3 husbands and countless slaves.  After the requisite stop at an over priced shopping place it was back to the boat and an uninterrupted afternoon of lazing around on the deck in the sun.  Wednesday was Grand Cayman Island and a trip to the beach.  I got to walk along the soft sand and paddle in the gorgeous water.  Thursday was the day I was really looking forward to - the visit to the Mayan Ruins in Cozumel.  However, due to circumstances that I shall not go into I was not emotionally able to go on that outing.

Here's the highlight of my trip at this point -- one evening we were out at a comedy club and we got there a little late so our only choice of seats was up front.  Of course the comedian seems obliged to interact with the folks in the front.  After the questions were are you from and what do you do, etc., he says to Mr. M, "Sir, you have a very beautiful wife".  The punch line --- he looks at me as if to say, "Seriously?  You couldn't have done any better than that?"  Of course the audience loved it.  Mr. M ... not so much.  The next evening we were having cocktails and another couple comes by, sees us and the guys says, "Oh, sir you have such a beautiful wife", and give the looks and walks off laughing.  One for Shelley.  No, make that two.

I am glad to be back to familiar things and ready to dig in and get things straight.  But first things first.  I've got to get some clothes on and go pick up my baby dog!!  Oh ... and good news.  I won another square on my football pool with the Green Bay win!  That's the third time on this one.  Poor Dave, the guy who sold me the square.  He hasn't hit once.  He is sure sorry he gave me that square, I can tell you that.

No comments: