04 January, 2011

The first cold of 2011

I woke up with it January 2nd.  I went to work yesterday but was so uncomfortable plus I was coughing all day.  So now I am working in my jammies from home and I'm going to stay warm and hope I can kick this thing.  I was just so cold all day yesterday!  I couldn't warm up and when I got home I changed into flannel everything and curled up with Tink on the couch with a blanket where I stayed all evening just watching stupid TV, talking on the phone and knitting on the new project.  I have been reading and re-reading the pattern instructions for the bodice and finally think I've found the answer about where exactly one joins and starts knitting in the round.  It is never explicitly stated but at one point on a WS row you are purling and then all of a sudden it's knit, so that must be it - the point where the whole thing is joined together.  It's a poorly written pattern but it's going to be cute.

While I was out Christmas shopping at Tuesday Morning - a very odd ball shop with just about everything - I picked up one of those silly desk top LED candle fountains.  I was going to give it to somebody but then realized it might make my little office/closet a tiny bit more comfortable to have that little babble going on.  I brought it in yesterday and after rearranging my desk I got it set up, poured a cup of water into it and set it going.  Just one problem - there was water pouring out all over my desk!  I have a towel in my office for when I arrive soaking wet so I grabbed it just in time and sopped up the water.  I then inspected the unit and found that it had a big crack in the wall of the reservoir.  Nice.  It hadn't been opened and the box wasn't dented so I don't know how it happened.  Then of course I just had to have one!  I would not be denied.  I got on eBay, found one and bought it and it's on its way now.  Nearly instant gratification.

My current audio book is called "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand" and it is charming.  Beautifully narrated and a wonderful story.  Again, I don't want it to end but I can't stop listening to it.  I don't have another one in the queue.  I had taken a page from the newspaper a couple of Sundays ago that listed the best books from 2010 as chosen by several different people.  And now I can't find it. I do that a lot - I will take something from the newspaper and then forget that I did it on purpose and think it's garbage and throw it away.  I will probably be able to find it on line at the newspaper's web site, don't you think so?

I suspect the chaise in my office is going to get some use today.  Maybe this afternoon I will switch from my desk to the chaise with my laptop ..... on my lap!  The sun does come directly into this west facing window in the afternoon but it's quite cloudy today so it shouldn't be a problem.

No comments: