08 February, 2012

The case of the disappearing friend

One of my closest friends lives in Arizona and he calls me a few times a week just to complain about the weather or gossip about friends or whatever.  I don't worry if I don't hear from him for a few days, but after four or five it's getting weird and then I'll text him or give him a call.  But if he doesn't pick up my calls or respond to my text messages, then it's really strange.  This happened recently.  Finally I sent a message Friday night saying that when he doesn't pick up my calls or respond to my messages I get worried, and I got a text right back saying "What?!  I'm at the Suns [basketball] game".  As in, don't bother me, I'm fine.   Things were back to normal Sunday during the Super Bowl game so I haven't thought anything more about it, until I got a call last evening.  Apparently an ex-girlfriend surfaced and she's been very aggressively pursing him again.  Last night he asked me to do some role playing -- which is idiotic because I don't know what's in her head, obviously, but I play along because if not it just turns into a long argument.  It turns out she asked him to go away for a weekend with her to Portland and it happened to coincide with the weekend he attends the South By Southwest music conference in Austin, Texas.  So he told her that and that he'd double check his dates and before he had that out of his mouth she said, "Well, how about I come to Austin with you?"  And now he's in a tough place you see and he wants me to get him out of it.  In other words, he doesn't mind all of the benefits that comes with having her around, if you catch my drift, but he doesn't want her tagging along with him to his very public and important music festival.  He certainly didn't get any useful response from me.  I can't get him out of this mess.  And it makes me laugh.  Typical stuff for him and he should be used to it by now.

I think I'm going to have to rethink my training schedule this week because it just doesn't look like it's going to work out for me to train this afternoon.  I have so much stuff to do.  I think I'll be okay with skipping today and doing a good workout tomorrow and then resting Friday.  I've kept to a good training diet, no alcohol, and my knees and ankles are good, so basically it's just keeping my energy up.  I should be fine.

I had a student waiting at my door when I got to my office this morning and this day is just going to keep on like this.  I much prefer being super busy.

At noon knitting I should be able to finish up the hand portions of the mitts, I hope.  Or get them ready to Kitchner.  Then it's just the thumbs and I'm done.  And maybe by then the weather will get back to winter and I can wear them.

No comments: