15 February, 2012

Petty Tyranny

I cannot believe the sheer nerve of some people!!  There is a junior faculty member who has been so completely and utterly uncooperative and continues to be so, despite the many requests from his own department and ours.  What I don't understand is why his dean or chairman can't just tell him what to do in this instance, rather than asking his preference.  This is a matter of schedule, not life threatening, but certainly a major inconvenience to over 160 students.  I am truly glad that I'm not in a position to voice my opinion on this matter because I am afraid diplomacy would be right out the door.  I don't envy my chairman.  He's got to deal with this and I have no idea what he's going to do.  My fervent wish is that he stand firm, but I suspect he's going to have to let it go.  It just makes me very very VERY angry.  [rant off]

Yesterday the medical students were selling pancakes - a little jump on Shrove Tuesday I expect - right outside of my office.  The smell was torture.  No, I didn't have one.  I had strawberries and oatmeal for breakfast, as usual.  But I was sorely tempted. 

It has gotten cold again!  Last night I had to turn my heat on in my apartment to stay comfortable and when I finally headed to bed to read I needed to pull up the down comforter!  So today is thick, warm sweater day.  I don't often ... well, actually  never last year because of the heating problem in my office .. wear these bulky sweaters but today I'm wearing one of my favorites.  It's a long, almost tunic length, brown chunky raglan turtleneck with a gorgeous cable down the front.  It is a sweater I made when I was first starting knitting and I just winged this pattern.  I found a cable I liked and cast on and away I went.  I do love it but as I said, very rarely get to wear it.  It is perfect with jean leggings and my brown "pirate" boots. 

I brought my little start of the Whisper Cardigan today for noon knitting along with the latest copy of IK.  I want to see what the other knitters have to say about this issue and maybe I'll take a second look myself and see if I've changed my mind.  Doubt it.

No comments: