06 February, 2012

Unique crossword puzzle clues

Every Sunday I get the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle from the newspaper and put it on the table and work the puzzle during the week while I'm eating dinner, or in the case of the weekends breakfast and lunch.  Saturday I came across such a unique and crazy clue.  Here's how it looked ... [Give me the worm! Give me the worm!] .. .with the brackets.  And the answer?  cheep   As in what a baby bird sounds like, I imagine.  I would never have guessed it.  I only got it because I filled in the other answers.  And that is why I can't do the British-style crossword puzzles.  My mind doesn't work that way.

This weekend was astonishingly beautiful.  The sun was shining Saturday and Sunday and the temperature was 60 degrees!  People were all over the place outside, working in their gardens and walking their dogs around the lake.  I had to get up early and get Tinkerbell to the groomer by 9, so she was done at 2 and we had a long walk in the sunshine.  It even smells like spring, but I know we have a long way yet and winter will return soon enough.  But people were sure enjoying the respite.  It is supposed to start raining later this week.  I'm going to sign up for the race anyway.  It's not going to be cold, so I might as well sign up for it.  It'll do me good.

I probably won't be running today though.  I got a late start because I completely spaced out getting my car tabs renewed and I had to get an emissions test.  I got to the emissions testing spot on 9 am when they opened and then headed over to buy my tabs, but that office was closed for some reason.  I guess I'll have to send away for the tabs.  I don't anticipate having to drive for the rest of the week, so it shouldn't be a problem if I get the order on line this morning.

Yesterday was the Super Bowl and I ended up with no party to attend.  But, I had a virtual party and that was almost as much fun.  I had friends to text with during the game.  It wasn't even a game I was particularly interested in.  I don't much care for either team and I mostly just wanted the Giants to lose.  They disappointed me by winning.  I believe that the last Super Bowl I watched alone was the Seahawks and Steelers and I was in Paris, desperately trying to stay awake through the game.  It as also a virtual party because I was texting with friends in Seattle.  That time I did have a team to root for and they lost.  But I had a super consolation prize -- a special guest. It was a quick visit, but as always great.  That was a fun trip.

I could have finished the mittens this weekend.  I am at the point where I need to start decreases for the hand, but it felt just wrong knitting on heavy mittens when it was 60 degrees outside.  Plus I couldn't really concentrate on the mitten decreases and the football game, so I put them down.  I'll get them done this week for sure.

No comments: