27 February, 2012

In some culture this MUST be good luck

I have heard of this happening to people all my life.  In fact, it happened to a girlfriend of mine when she was on a first date and walking through Central Park.  But never before Sunday afternoon had I ever experienced being in the direct line of fire of a bird.  And a rather large bird, at that.  I have done a little Google research and this is what I come up with:

When Bird Droppings Land On Your Head
Many people believe this to be a major sign of wealth coming from heaven. Hence, although, it is really yucky and a major inconvenience, when something like this happens to you, take comfort in the fact that this is described as good luck being just around the corner! In fact, most things associated with birds tend to spell good fortune, such as when birds fly to your home and start making nests in and around your house. While bats bring abundance, birds bring good news and opportunities. The next time a flock of ravens, pigeons or magpies come to your home, feed them with bird seeds. Birds are also said to be powerful protectors and guardians. Even crows are said to be messengers of the Gods. So welcome birds with open arms.


See?  You look closely enough and turn a nasty situation into a pot of gold.  (Insert cheesy grin here)

I had an absolutely fabulous time Saturday night!  It was SO much fun!!  I have four LBDs (little black dress) that I adore and one of them is just not appropriate for work situations so that's the one I wore Saturday night.  The event was held in an art gallery and wasn't huge, but very well attended.  There were tables for the silent auction items, two wine bars, and some finger food.  The theme was Mardi Gras so the food was mostly fried and on toast.  There were little crawfish pies, which were tasty, and some lovely fish on toast that was grilled and some raw shrimp but most everything else was not great.  Besides the silent auction items there was a blackjack table.  One would buy $20 of chips to start.  If you won, then for every 5 chips you would get a ticket to enter a drawing for other prizes.  I could not lose.  It was embarrassing!  I must have gotten at least 15 tickets and finally I quit playing.  It was fun though.  No, I didn't win one of the drawings but I did buy a gorgeous etched plate and bowl, c. 1930s.  Really beautiful.  My friend Andy bought a Coach Bucket Bag for his daughter, and my friend Joan got a couple of things -- hers were experiences.  Lessons of some sort and .... I can't remember what else.  It was just plain fun and I really really  needed it.

Sunday morning Tink and I had a two hour walk.  I had gotten most of my chores and errands done on Saturday so I didn't have much on my plate for Sunday.  I did a little shopping - got a stand to display that gorgeous plate, did a little knitting.  It was a quiet evening. 

I'm all rested up.  I am not looking forward to tomorrow except that it will finally all be over no later than 4 o'clock, except the verdict.  And really, no matter what happens, I win.  I am away from that mess and there's nothing but good things to come.  I think the first thing I am going to do is start planning something for April.  I'm going to contact my friends in Paris first and find out when they're planning on going to the south of France.  And if I can't make that work then I'll find something else to do.  But I do need to have a spring trip to plan and look forward to and that's a good place to start.

No comments: