10 September, 2012

All the best people are doing it

What?  Why giving up their cars, that's what!  Well, probably not really ALL the best people, but the trend is towards urban living without a car.  Considering the little that I drive anyway, I have decided I'm at least going to give it a try.  If I hate it I can always get another car.  In the meantime, I have found an apartment complex that I think would be perfect for me.  It is like a village - it reminds me of a small, American version of Louvain-la-Neuve, which I always thought was a brilliant concept and loved visiting there.  The place here is called Thornton Place and the pedestrian way of life is encouraged.  They give you a transit pass and Zip car coupons and there is free parking for bicycles.  Besides restaurants and stores there is a theatre complex and you also get two passes a month.  The apartments are "green" and the floor plans look really cute.  I can't actually apply for one until I get closer to when my lease runs out here, so I will apply in October.  If nothing is available for November I can go month-to-month where I am currently until there is a spot open, although the manager I spoke to last week says there is a pretty good turnover.  So -- I'm super excited about that!  I cannot WAIT to get out of my current apartment.  

I had a quiet Friday night, and a super busy Saturday.  I stopped to get my contacts and still one box hadn't yet arrived!  Crazy!  They gave me a week's supply of the missing lens and I'll have to go back next Saturday for the full box.  Then it was on to get my hair done.  We got all of my appointments set up so that I can visit a few days before I leave for my November vacation, plus we got my December appointment as well.  Dana is very well organized.  She got an Apple TV and now she's the second person I know with one.  She loves it and I am so jealous!  Maybe when I move I will get Apple TV and do away with most of my cable services.  I really don't watch much of regular network TV except during the football season.

Sunday, as predicted, was much colder than it was Saturday.  I felt I had a pretty good race but I was disappointed in the time I got.  It's strange though - I know my pace was a little slower than I would have liked it to be, but still I don't think the course was measured correctly.  I use my Nike GPS app and I have used it on other races there and it's been spot on with the measured course.  This time it was off by more than a tenth of a mile.  The course had us running on the street for much more of the time than other races - like the Love 'em or Leave 'em race in February.  But no matter.  I have the October Dawg Dash coming up in six weeks so I will train hard and get a good time at that race.  I remember I really wanted to run in that race last year -- what happened?  I must have gotten sick or something.

Monika and Andre came over to watch the Seahawks and help put together my desk yesterday afternoon.  My fantasy team did well - we have a couple more games tonight but it looks like I'm going to win my matchup!  Woohoo!  The Seahawks did not do very well, unfortunately.   And after winning all the preseason games too!  Next week they have the Cowboys and that's going to be a tough game because the Cowboys are really good this year.  I made a nice little dinner and had a fun time watching the games.  No knitting was done, but that's because I was so enthralled with watching my fantasy scores.  I must buckle down tonight and get some stuff finished.  I'll work on that ruffled scarf.

Well, I've got a long list of students to see this morning so I'd better get ready for them.
 

No comments: