05 January, 2006

Biking in Seattle & what I know for sure

Did you ever wonder what it would be like to be a bicycle commuter in Seattle? What with all that rain, and the darkness from October to March, and the hills. Well let me assure you, it's about 10 times as yucky as you can imagine. Especially on a day like today when it was coming down steady. Big, fat, wet raindrops. Rain gear notwithstanding, my clothes are damp, my socks downright sopping. My work clothes I carry in panniers and even they got wet today. The only saving grace is that it wasn't blowing as well. I got my bike back from the shop yesterday. It was tune up time and I got a new chain and cassette and brakes so I really wanted to try it out. It's always so nice after getting a tune up. It seems so easy to ride when everything is clean, the tires hard and the gears nice and tight. Plus which I've been driving so much this last month having been sick, then having vacation. So it wasn't all bad -- except for the rain drops dripping down inside of my goggles. Should have worn a scuba mask.

What I know for sure ------ No sweater that I make is ever ever ever going to come unraveled of its own accord. I spent all last evening (from about 6 to 9) frogging that lace peplum sweater. Finding the free ends took the most time. I mean ... I am serious when I put those things together! I gave up with only one small piece left. I have five large balls so I am pretty sure that should be enough for the asymmetrical v-neck. And if not, I have this one other piece I can use. But if I don't need it, I'm going to toss it because it's a bloody battle to find that end.

No comments: