09 January, 2006

Difference between new and frogged yarn ....

is HUGE! What a dope I am! On one hand I think it's wonderful that I learn something new about knitting so often. On the other hand, here I have one part of a sweater that looks all shiny and new and tidy and the other half that looks .... well, used. In retrospect I shouldn't have been in such a hurry to get on with the second part of the new sweater but I should have unraveled the old sweater into hanks and washed them to get the kinks out BEFORE I balled them and started knitting. Now I am 80% finished with this asymmetrical v-neck [which is a bonus about this pattern -- it goes very fast] and I am not about to re-frog and wash the yarn and start over at this point. I am hoping that once I get it put together I can wash it and it will straighten out. That is the experience I had when I used recycled cashmere for a little cardigan. After washing it looked practically normal.

I have definitely decided to re-write (chart) the cabled shrug so that it's NOT reverse stockinette. It will be a much less daunting project if I don't have to do all that counting on the reverse trip.

It was a good weekend. I watched football and knitted and walked the dog and took Omie out for lunch before it heads to Alaska for 3 months ... not that's going to be a grueling winter, don't you think? All I can think about though is that in 18 days I will be getting on a plane and finally having a vacation! Yay me!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, it's your secret pal here. I hope your new year is off to a good start!

I'm having Used Yarn Syndrome right now myself. I've frogged out a section so many times that the yarn is definitely looking past it's prime. I hadn't thought about washing it to perk it back up, but I do believe I will try that post-haste. That used yarn looks pretty grubby right now.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Shelley said...

What are you working on now? It must be pretty complicated if you have to keep frogging. Sometimes I just leave a mistake in there -- gives the piece character. ;-)