06 March, 2006

Well here's some good news!

I just read in the paper this morning that the Seahawks re-signed Shaun Alexander! Yay! That's great news! For an obscene amount of money, of course. What I have come to understand though is that even though they say he's signed for $68 million he's unlikely to ever get all of that so it's just numbers.

It was a wonderful, spring-ish weekend and I got tons and tons of stuff accomplished! Saturday was just gorgeous so after I got all of my indoor chores done I mowed the lawn and fertilized it to boot! While I was toiling away in the sun the mail came and in it was my "Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles" book. So of course, as soon as I was done cleaning up I took off for my LYS to purchase two pairs of Addi Turbos, size 2 (gulp) and some sock yarn. Now let me digress for a moment here -- can anyone out there tell me why sock yarn is to gawd awful ugly?? I just wanted some plain cotton blend sock yarn. Nope. I could get cotton, but not superwash and I am not about to make a pair of socks that need to be hand washed! Not right out of the gate anyway. I could have gotten a wool in plain colors but I really wanted cotton. So I ended up with the least ugly one I could choose, aptly named "Clown".

AAaany way, I brought my booty back and sat myself down and did about 4 inches of ribbed cuff. Can I say that they soar? Well, as much as anything can soar that is being knit on size 2 needles. It took me a while to get used to the method and in fact it wasn't until I was knitting the heel flap on Sunday that I realized I was knitting inside out. No harm. Sunday wasn't so nice outside as Saturday so I had no qualms about sitting around most of the day, listening to music and knitting. I mean, I did other things, of course. Laundry, washed the puppy, read the paper and actually completed about 80% of the Sunday crossword! I had one of those sweet moments in the afternoon though -- when you just have to sigh and relish the simple pleasures. There I was in my comfy chair listening to some great jazz, working on a somewhat complicated part of the sock but getting it, a little break in the clouds for a ray of sunshine, my sweet little dog on my lap and a wonderful dinner at a great Italian restaurant to look forward to. It was a perfect moment. Here's where I left off working on the sock. The heel flap was a piece of cake. Turning the heel was also easy. Getting the gusset started was a bit tricky but I just followed the instructions and only got confused once but didn't mess up. Not I just knit on down to about 2 inches shy of my toes and then do the toe increases. Oh .. and then make another one. I was thinking about if it work work, doing two at once. I thought it would right up until I got to the tricky bits and now I'm not so sure. You have to transfer stitches from one needle to another at one point and I just don't think it would be possible if there was another sock on there. I'll have to think a little more on it.

Well, that's my big sock adventure. I also got some work done on the back of the Flower top. That is the perfect thing to knit while watching TV because it is just straight garter stitch. Just have to keep track of the rows.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Love the sock. Those addis sure do make a sock go fast. I can't wait to see the finished pair, way to go!!