25 April, 2007

A close call

My bike route to work has changed a little bit since I am moved out of the H-wing. My parking space is now across Pacific Avenue and down on the street level. What that means is that I ride on the Burke-Gilman trail for a few more yards west to a bridge that takes me across the street and down to the street level via ramps. The B-G trail is a wonderful paved path that runs for literally miles and people use it to commute to the U of W and other work places, I jog on it as do many thousands of others. In a word, it's busy. We must use common sense and courtesy, especially in the busy morning hours when people are in a hurry and groggy to boot. It is also common for people to call out when passing - "On your left" or "On your right" to alert the bicyclist or pedestrian that you're coming by. All this to say that some jackass was tearing down the trail so fast today that as I was turning to cross the street via the bridge he rear-ended me! I was going slowly because I was getting ready to make a sharp turn and there was a jogger coming at me and I was trying to calculate her speed so I wouldn't make her slow down. This guy had to have been really screaming down the trail because I had looked behind me when I got on the trail and he was nowhere to be seen. Luckily I only slightly bruised my knee. Not enough to keep me from running or I would really be mad. Why would you try to pass someone on the right when they're going slowly, they're right in front of a bike rack AND a bridge so they're likely to be turning into one or the other? I think it's a pretty easy assumption to make that one is going to either be parking or crossing the bridge. But whatever. He's lucky I was in a good mood.

I see on my Yahoo weather that it's hot in Paris and Amsterdam and a friend just got back from London and said it was hot there as well! What the heck?! Usually spring in Paris is just like it is here in Seattle except for more thunder showers. I am just hoping that it'll be nice for Kelli's visit next week because knowing me it's going to be hard to get any real gardening done if the weather is bad. More likely it'll be shopping and sleeping late. Kelli is so tired of hearing me gripe about my lack of a social life that she says we're going out every night. We'll see.

Tuesday I finally finished the monster turtleneck. As I figured, it's practically tunic length but will be handy when I feel like I need camouflage in the winter. I started weaving the ends in last night but two phone calls derailed me and I will just do it in fits and starts. There are so many ends even though I had forgotten that I started weaving them in at the start.

I got a good start on the steek portion of the stripey vest last night. I makes more sense to me now that I can see the steek itself and the edge stitches. I was wondering how exactly I was going to pick up stitches but the pattern has you making a knit stitch before the steek on either side so there will be a nice place to pick up the stitches. I'm bringing it to "show and tell" with the knitting ladies at lunchtime today.

No comments: