28 March, 2008

I didn't want to ...

but I had to start another project. Bonnie wants a hat with no crown. And she mentioned it to me when we last gigged and I pretty much forgot about it until a couple days ago when I realized we were rehearsing last night and I should have that thing done! Then I forgot to start it so yesterday at lunchtime I cast on and worked a bit on it as I was scanning one of 80 (yes, eighty) images. Multitasking .. it's all about multitasking! And as I surmised, I was able to work on it a bit while we were getting set up for rehearsal. I have until April 11 to get it done. That's when I'll be seeing her next ... ooo, no just realized it may be before that. But still, plenty of time. One or two little TV sessions should do it.

So - let me rant a bit about rehearsal last night. What is it about keyboard players???!! [I know, weak start to a rant, isn't it?] This guy though - talented, sure. He plays the trumpet as well as teaches choir at a local high school and gigs around town almost every other night of the week. However, he refused to take the few minutes it takes to LEARN the freakin' songs!!!! This is not a jazz band. We are playing R&B and pop music and it's all about the hook. You know how it is when you're listening to a popular song, you sing along to the little do-do-do stuff. WE, the singers, get all of the background and harmonies. Why can't these guys just take a few minutes to learn, really learn, the breaks and hooks and the few bars of intro music that make the audience go "Oh, yeah. I lllove that song!". And to add insult to injury, the keyboard player demands he get paid more than the rest of us and because he has us over a barrel, he gets it. But this guy - Dwain has had it and he's got a call in to another guy. Fingers crossed.

Oooo, speaking of Dwain - the leader of our band who plays drums. He's friends with Marcus Trufant's parents, and plays around town with the father. Marcus is getting married this weekend and Dwain is playing at the reception!!! How cool is that?? I am so jealous.

The weather super sucks. It's cold and wet and snowing at 500 feet, maybe even lower. I have to go run in a couple hours and I'm not looking forward to it at all. The best part of it is going to be when I get back inside. [I'm not in a very good mood today - does it show?]

No comments: