01 March, 2011

Coming in like a lion

After having that little bit of fake spring a few weeks ago, we are now back to our regular terrible weather.  The snow is gone but the clouds, wind, rain and low temperatures are going to be here for a while.  I can't even remember the last time I rode my bike in to work.  It has been weeks.  I just refuse to bike in this nasty stormy weather.  It's just too far for that.  I also skipped running yesterday but I must go today so let's keep our fingers crossed for mere sprinkles rather than the downpour of this morning.

I finished my second Kate Atkinson audio book while driving home Sunday.  Titled "Case Histories", it is the first of 3 books she has written with the same protagonist.  The first one I listened to was the 3rd in the series and I enjoyed it so that's why I got the first one.  It was good but I kept noticing that the author used more than a few odd ... conventions I guess is what you could call them.  For example in both books there was a dog and she chose to name it Poppy in both books.  Different dog.  Different owners.  Why would she use the same name?  Also, in both books there was a character enamored of etymology.  Again, not the same character.  Well there were lots of things like that.  I am tempted to get the 2nd book to have a listen and see if she's done it in all three.

The one I am listening to now may be a bust.  The jury is still out but I can say for sure that the narrator hasn't grabbed me yet and the story ... it could be a little trite.  I can't remember why I chose the book.  I suppose because the description caught my interest.   I'll give it a bit more of a listen when I run this afternoon.

My knitting slump continues.  I watched a stupid movie in bed last night rather than sit up and knit or do something else constructive.  Maybe it's just me in the slump.

No comments: