28 February, 2011

My little adventure

So far nobody seems to have a definitive answer to the prat/wanker debate.  It could be that it's just a matter of opinion.  The polling is still open.

Tink and I got on the road Friday afternoon and headed south.  The freeway remained clear and (mostly) dry all the way down, although when we stopped in Olympia to get gas there was quite a bit of snow still on the ground there.  And it was very cold.  I forgot about the little coastal mountain pass and was a little anxious as we headed into it since the clouds had come in and it was snowing but, again we were lucky and the roads remained clear.  We made it to the hotel by 4 o'clock and the sky had cleared as we got to the coast.  Luckily I was able to upgrade to a pet friendly room with a view.  There was time to take a nice walk before the sun went down.  I am regretting not taking a picture of the sunset Friday night.  I assumed that I'd get another chance on Saturday, but it was just stormy and gray.  No sunset colors.

Saturday I drove further south to Cannon Beach.  I just love that place and it was just as I remembered when Kelli and I went down 5 or six years ago.  I found the hotel we had stayed in and I was hoping to have lunch at the French cafe but it had closed.  Back we went to Seaside and walked around there as well.  And it was packed with people!  I knew that there was a Dixieland band convention since I had seen signs for it and the hotel I was staying in was packed with old folks.  What I was seeing on the streets Saturday afternoon was packs of teenagers.  I later found out there was a basketball tournament there. 

After our long walk in Cannon Beach and another long walk at Seaside I took Tink back to the hotel and went out for lunch, then went looking for an ATM.  I found one and was about to go into the building when I read a sign saying to use a different door because of the wind.  I did as I was told and opened a sliding door and caught my finger.  I mean .... wow!  Ouch!  When I took off my glove to take a look at the finger it looked as if I had broken the nail bed and I was totally freaked out.   It looked bad, so I did the most logical thing and got directions to the urgent care clinic.  When I got in to see the doctor and took off the bandage I had put on there she said, "Oh, that's not bad.  Take a look".  I am squeamish and I wasn't looking at it and I said "Didn't I break the nail bed"?  "It's not bad", she said.  "I didn't break the nail bed?"  And then I looked and indeed it wasn't bad.  I mean, again it is a matter of opinion.  It was seriously scraped but I had NOT broken the nail bed.  It was the piece of skin that had been scraped and was laying across the nail bed when I put the bandage on.  Whew.  It was very sore but she put some surgical glue on it and that's that.  Unfortunately it was too sore to do much knitting.  I tried but ... oh well.

Sunday it was stormy outside.  I took Tink for a little walk before breakfast, thinking we would have a nice long one on the beach before taking off for Seattle but when I checked out of the hotel the rain was coming down in buckets AND blowing sideways.  No walkies for us.  Just a long and stormy ride home.  I listened to my audio book and it lasted all the way home.

I MUST finish up those sleeves this week.  Then I hope I can get some knitting mojo back.  It seems I don't like anything I am working on right now.  Maybe when I get the stranded work done on the Cloisonne Jacket I'll be excited about it again.  It is quite pretty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanker is always BAD, Prat can run in shades from " a little silly" to " a complete wanker" so there is more nuance and room for interpretation according to context.............