06 December, 2011

iPhone Scrabble vs iPad Scrabble

Here's what I don't get ... the iPhone Scrabble game is far superior to the iPad version!  It just shouldn't be that way!  The iPad is a much better experience for Scrabble.  The screen is bigger, easier to move tiles around, etc.  But you don't have any of the really wonderful and fun features of the iPhone version.  By far my favorite difference is the Teacher, which you can turn on or off.  I always keep it on and each time I play a word it will show me what the best word is that I could have played, unless I play the best word.  It is programmed with a few facial expressions so you can tell right off the bat if you've played the best word because it will grin, but if you miss an obvious 7-letter word it looks disgusted and there are several other expressions between.  My game has definitely improved since I started using this feature.  Another one that iPhone has and iPad does not is the ability to choose the dictionary you want to use -- either the official Scrabble dictionary or a different dictionary, and I'm not at all sure which it is.  I always use the official Scrabble dictionary.  And the final huge difference is the ability to play remotely with real people rather than always with the computer.  On the iPhone can you just start a game with a random person who also wants to play.  If you sign in with Facebook or something you can play people you know, but so far I just play with strangers.  Maybe I'll write to the developers and encourage them to fix that iPad version!

I am VERY glad that the technician at my exam last week told me I would most likely be called back for another look because that's what happened yesterday.  I am not freaked out about it -- well, not much -- because she made it clear that with the change from film to digital it is almost always the case that the doctor wants to have another look and it happened to a friend of mine as well.  Also, they won't be able to see me until December 23rd and if it was something obvious they wouldn't let me wait.  So it's not going to be easy to not worry about it, but at least I'm not frantic!

I can't seem to catch my breath at work.  I am crazy busy.  Hopefully things will slow down a bit next week so I can get organized before my Christmas holiday and the start of next quarter.  I wish I didn't have to go to this meeting this morning.  I could use the time for other things.

No comments: