27 June, 2006

I'm mmmmelting

Right - we are great big humongous weather babies here in Seattle. We whine when it's too hot. We whine when it's too cold. We whine when we don't see the sunshine for 30 days straight. Okay, I admit it with no reservations. However. It is freakin' boiling! And our homes here in the great Pacific Northwest are not air conditioned, generally. Oh well sure, the Microsoft millionaires have AC but us general plebes? Nuh-uh. Plus which my house is older than me, which is saying something!! So suffice it to say I didn't do any cooking last night, nor did I knit. I took baby Tink for a stroll, sat on my deck in the shade for a while but even that was a bit uncomfortable, so I finally retreated to the basement where it was nice and cool. I love that room - in the winter when it's cold it's cozy and I can build a fire and in the summer it stays cool and shady. Plus which the couch is super comfy. I do knit down there often, but last night I had a great book to read - "The Secret Life of Bees", which I highly recommend. So I took the night off from knitting even though I am truly itching to get down to the ribbing on the cardigan. It is supposed to be cooling off. Right now we have a smog alert so no running for me today either. My allergies are really kicking up. Bad combo - smog and pollen.

I spent a bit of time on line looking at couches yesterday ... dang! I just realized I forgot to measure the area last night. Here's a funny story - well not really funny as much as pointing out my shortcomings as a decorator. A few years ago when I re-did my basement room I had an idea in my head - my TV in the corner, a sectional with chaise and recliners and then behind it a couple of display cases to display some of my now ex-boyfriend's beautiful pottery. I got the carpet laid and oh I could see this beautiful room in my head and all I was missing was the perfect sectional. I shopped and I shopped and I shopped until I found the Perfect Sofa. Angels sang when I saw it. And it came in a beautiful sage microfiber that looked just like suede but cleans up like a dream. So I spend $1,000 MORE than I had budgeted for this Perfect Sofa - not only a chaise on the end, but a queen sized sleeper in the middle and not one but TWO recliners!! Oh lordy. We could have ALL the guys down here for football and everyone could just slob out and lounge. When the delivery guys came to deliver it, imagine my surprise. I hadn't measured, you see. I just eyeballed it and I tell you what - my eyeballs are way off. Forget about having the beautiful display cases behind the danged thing - it just fit. I mean just. There are ohhhh about 24 inches between the end of the chaise and the doors out to the patio. Oh it's comfy alright. And it seats everybody I know in comfort. But it's a monster and I will never again buy a piece of furniture before I know every measurement. You might ask why I didn't return it and get something smaller. Good question. My ex-boyfriend is a lawyer and a BRUTAL negotiator and I was just embarrassed to try to return it after all of the grief we went through to get it. I'm used to it now. But I swear I will know to the millimeter where my next couch will start and end.

1 comment:

Sherrill said...

Package has been posted to you. Decided chocolate was bad for weather like this...might mess up the yarn. :)

The next two themes heading your way are sooooo for this hot weather.

The sofa in the basement sounds wonderful...size really does matter, doesn't it. (Laugh with me here) Sorry...had to throw that one out there for someone to chew on.

Here's a link I think you might be interested in, I had a great time this year. Dinner was wonderful and Sally Melville was the speaker...lovely lady. I sat a few feet away from the Yarn Harlot...she's goofy, but lovably fun. http://www.madronafiberarts.com/

Stay cool...