15 May, 2009

Bike to Work Day

It has been "Bike to Work Week", and today is "Bike to Work Day". That means that the Cascade Bicycle Club sets up little stations along the trail where you can stop and get a snack or some water or a new water bottle, sign up for the club, get maps, etc. etc. I stopped at 55th where they had set up a station next to the Metropolitan Market and got a new water bottle and some water and a nice piece of orange. It was set up like at the K5 finish line with cut up fruit and pastries. I was thinking how nice it would be to be able to stop along the way to work and sit there and have a piece of fruit or, if somebody was really thinking, have a coffee stand there. That would be totally awesome in the summer and fall.

I had some troubles with cars today. That is not a usual thing but today I had two cars blow through intersections and nearly get me. And on campus, where the trail crosses a road onto the campus from 25th, some JERK in a truck nearly ran me over! Typically normal drivers treat that intersection as a 4-way stop. Bikes stop or slow and the cars stop and let us through. The guy in front of me was waved through by the car in front of the black truck, went through and the car went and then I was coming up. The black truck hesitated so I figured he was stopping for me like the other car did, but then he started to go just as I entered the intersection! Of course he stopped again as I went through, then yelled at me as he drove away. So I flipped him off. Not my usual style but what the heck. He was being a jerk.

I had an awesome run yesterday afternoon although I got soaked to the bone again! It wasn't raining when I walked out and in fact looked as if it was going to clear up, but I got down to 15th and the raindrops were big and heavy. What the heck -- I was already out there so I just kept going. And it was a great run! Somebody told me once at a race that there's more oxygen in the air when it's raining and that's why I feel better and stronger when I run in the rain. I don't know though .... that sounds a little crazy. It couldn't be that much more oxygen in those raindrops.

I got the last increase row done on my Radiate yesterday evening. I think I'll finish up one more ball of yarn on the body and then do the sleeves before I finish off the body. I still am unclear on how long I want it to be.

I am excited about getting to the nursery tomorrow and picking out my vegetable starts. It supposed to be very nice all weekend so I will be able to at least choose them tomorrow and maybe start cleaning out the beds before I have to get ready for my knitting ladies. It's going to be a great weekend!!

No comments: