18 May, 2009

It was a gorgeous weekend

Wow -- it must have been in the high 70s this Saturday. I got to the Fred Meyer garden center around 10:30 and already it was packed. There weren't too many vegetable starts left - well I should say there wasn't much variety. And no lettuce. I didn't feel like going to fight the crowds at Lowe's or Home Depot so I took what they had - some tomatoes (2), some cantaloupe, red peppers, green peas, and some herbs (lots of basil!!) then I bought some seeds. We'll just have to wait and see if they come up. I am thinking it might be too late.

I got home and cleaned out the beds and planted my starts and the seeds. The beds look so sparse! Maybe this weekend - I am taking Friday off to make it a nice looooong weekend - I will go to a larger garden center and maybe find a few more starts. Or, I did buy some lettuce seeds, so I might make up some planters. Last night Tink was barking and whining and I think I know why - there was evidence of something being in the vegetable beds last night. I had put the seed packets (with a few left over seeds) in the dirt to mark where I had planted things and they were gone. The little plastic pickets marking the plants were disturbed as well. I hope this doesn't become a problem. I didn't remember any animals in the beds last year, but of course they were well established by the time we moved in.

On Saturday night I had some knitting ladies over for food and frogging. We had such a fun time! I didn't get much done - that wrap is a bitch! I did get the edging taken out, then I had to just plain cut some mohair out. Others did quite well. We will have to do it again soon.

So it's Memorial Day weekend coming up and the weather, after our sunny weekend, has gotten bad again. But according to the forecast it's going to get nice again starting Thursday. I am going to take Friday at least off, but depending upon how things are going here I may take Thursday as well and have 5 whole days off! I seriously doubt we're going to be having any vacation this summer. I might as well start looking forward to London in October and/or Paris in November.

No comments: