23 July, 2010

Fridays are for fartleks

I had a pretty decent run yesterday at lunchtime despite forgetting to use my inhaler. I was a little wheezy which I attribute to the pollen count. I am sure it was just a coincidence, but my normal pace was up a bit. Today I will be starting out at the regular pace and then every so often speed up for 30 seconds or a minute, then slow back down until my breath comes back and repeat. Now according to all I've read and heard, this technique is going to increase my speed and hopefully I'll get to my goal of a 30 minute 5K by the end of the year. That reminds me -- I've got to try to find a race for September.

I worked a bit on the blue Green Gable last night. It's going fast and the good thing about this project is that I've made it before and it fit perfectly so I can use that garment to measure this one so I get the same fit (although I am going to make it a bit longer). I don't really know how much my gauge is off. I should probably measure before I make any more sleeve increases.

I've got a busy Saturday. First thing before it gets too hot I'm going to have to get in the garden and do some work. The blackberry vines from the house next door are looming over my vegetable beds and, of course, the weeds in the beds. I skipped barking this year and I won't make that mistake again. My MIL said something about hiring a gardener from her church for my birthday present. Since I did not attend the little pageant last Sunday that she invited us to (Mr. M went, I slept) I am not holding my breath. And since we can't have gardeners any more unless I can supervise them, I'm on my own. That's my morning. Then in the late afternoon I'm going to attend a little reunion golf tournament/dinner. I'm skipping the golf this year, since I haven't picked up my clubs for quite some time. But I'll got for a bit to eat and a little schmoozing.

Still haven't had a band rehearsal since I got back from Hawaii. Didn't hear from Doug last weekend nor all this week so I'm guessing that either the bass player or the drummer are out of town. Since we still don't have a date set for our show I guess it's not a big deal.

No comments: