15 July, 2010

I am through with my neighborhood garden store

I know it is very convenient and that's mostly why I go there but I am not thrilled at how my vegetable garden has turned out this year and it's only partly my fault. The part that is NOT my fault is definitely the fault of the garden store - or rather department, since it's a part of the Fred Meyer down the street. First of all the pepper plants were diseased. I thought maybe it was the soil in my bed, but when I was down there Saturday morning getting flowering plants for the containers I was talking to a woman who was buying some pepper plants that had been marked down to 50 cents. And I told her about how my peppers had gotten some sort of disease and she said hers had too, and that was why she was buying more. My conclusion is that they were selling diseased plants and that's why the ones the woman was buying didn't look that good either! My squash plants, clearly marked as acorn squash and going crazy in my garden are, in fact, zucchini!! I was thinking that those baby squashes looked suspiciously like zucchini and now that they are getting larger it is obvious that they are!! That's the final straw! If I had wanted zucchini I would have purchased zucchini. I wanted acorn squash. I still have the little plastic marker in the soil. I should take it back down there and .. and .... what? Well, I'm just mad. Nobody will eat zucchini. I will maybe steam one or two, or put a few into the roasted vegetables but there are always so many. Even Mr. M won't eat zucchini bread. What else can you do with them? Damn! Oh well, next year... next year.

There was knitting at noon yesterday but no knitting last night. After chores and downloading some new audiobooks and getting dinner cooked and eaten and watching a saved "Warehouse 13" episode I was more in the mood to read in bed, so that's what I did. Maybe tonight. I am steeling myself for my Sunday afternoon setting in of the sleeves. ick

No comments: