12 July, 2010

I am SO over myself

and here's how I know. Saturday morning I had to get out into the garden and get some work done first thing. The back garden gets the morning sun and I had the hedge to trim and the vegetable beds to clean out. No time to waste! So I hopped out of bed, threw on a pair of shorts and a tank top and rubbed some sunscreen onto my face and I was out the door, clipper in hand. At some point I came back in and put a ragged bandanna around my forehead because I was being blinded by the sweat. I got the hedge in shape and, refreshed with an ice coffee, tackled the vegetable beds and whipped them into shape as well! I was on fire! Next I spent a few minutes pulling the biggest and most offensive weeds in the flower beds and then decided that it would be nice to throw away all the dead and dying stuff in the planters on the deck and put in new flowers. Here's where I found out I was over myself -- I went to the plant store as I was. No make up, hadn't even brushed my teeth, wearing a sweat and dirt stained tank top, men's basketball shorts, rubber flip-flops and dirt from head to toe. I just couldn't see the sense in cleaning up knowing I was just going to come home and get dirty again. Plus which it was over 80 degrees. So I got the plants, fixed up the planters and then had a nice lovely shower and patted myself on the back for being smart instead of vain. I spent the rest of the day, in air conditioned comfort, relaxing and knitting.

The AC did go on first thing Saturday morning. Mr. M was miserable enough, finally. I am so impossible to be around when I'm hot and cranky. Of course, the heat is gone now. We had clouds yesterday morning, but they went away in the afternoon only to come back during the night with a vengeance. I was awake for at least an hour in the middle of the night listening to the rain. The sun will be back soon but it looks like we're done with the heat for a while.

I am getting closer to lucid dreaming. I am THAT close! I quit trying so very hard because my sleep was being too disturbed, but it is always in the back of my mind and I try to think about it before I fall asleep. During one dream this weekend I noticed that I couldn't read the print on a menu and I realized that no, you can't read when you're dreaming. If I were a bit more practiced that is the point in my dream where I could have become lucid. The fact that I recognized that during a dream is very encouraging. I really think I am going to be able to do this.

I thought I deserved a treat after working so hard on Saturday so I started a new project rather than sew up the sleeves on the cardigan. I know I should have just done it, put on my headphones and listened to my book and got the job done. But instead I cast on for "198 Yards of Heaven" with the blue cashmere I was using for the birch leaf shawl that I frogged. (Terrible picture, I know. I'm having problems with my iPhone being able to send the larger version. I'll take one with my camera later). This cashmere is SO beautiful and soft. The pattern is for a triangle shawlette, much like the Annis, meant to be worn around the neck with the point at the front. This will be so cozy and warm and soft. It's the first time I've tried a true triangular shawl pattern and one of the reasons I chose this is that the directions are written out. I hate reading charts. It was a bit confusing at first but I just trusted the pattern and voila! I got it! Unfortunately this is not knitting that I can do and listen to my audiobook. Well, maybe I can in a few more repeats. I don't want to mess it up though.

No comments: