08 July, 2010

On the road to a tidier garden

There were two guys working on the garden yesterday. One to mow and the second to get the weeds under control. Due to the extreme heat they were only able to work about four hours but the front looks much better! They will come back tomorrow to do a few more hours until it gets too hot again. I am going to have to force myself to trim the hedge this weekend and, if they can't get to it tomorrow, get the vegetable beds under control. The poor vegetable beds! The peas have gone well but the tomatoes, again are looking like they're going to be a big disappointment. Not so bad as last year, I hope. Next year I'm going to move them to the last raised bed rather than the middle one because the lawn sprinklers hit the last bed so they get more water than just the soakers.

It was record heat yesterday and so there was no knitting at all in the evening. I just vegged out and watched a movie after dinner, which consisted of a yummy huge shrimp salad. (Don't you just love summer dinners?) I brought a second fan upstairs and set it in the hall so that we'd get a little more air flow and that made the night comfortable. I cannot sleep when it's too hot. Now me -- I'd just turn on the AC, but Mr. M is a little more conservative. He's got to be really suffering to justify the air conditioning. I suspect if the heat keeps up it's going to get turned on this weekend. Tink was wise and got herself situated on the bed so that she got good air flow from the ceiling fan. It was cute how she kept moving herself until she was right under the best spot.

I have been on public transport these past couple of days. I've had a little issue and haven't been able to ride my bike. It is interesting to note that I don't save any time at all by taking the bus. I walk out the door at precisely the same time I do when I ride my bike and I get to my office at the same time. I think I am just missing a bus. If I were to walk out the door maybe five minutes earlier then I'd arrive at work before 8. I seem to be waiting about 10 minutes for a bus. I was going to drive tomorrow because I had a hair appointment after work, but the chairman asked me to attend a meeting in his stead so I moved the hair appointment and I guess it's the bus for me again tomorrow. My iPhone is great for that though. I just plug in and avoid the inane morning conversations going on around me.

No comments: