16 January, 2012

It's only Monday!

Sunday morning I got up and had a run.  It was gorgeous!  It's the only time I can run in Hawaii -- in the morning right after the sun comes up when it's not too hot yet.  I couldn't do it this morning though.  This morning I got up, ate breakfast and manned the registration desk for a couple of hours, then I was finished.  Yesterday afternoon and early evening it was four hours at the desk, trying to check people in and get those not registered signed up and paid.  Thank goodness for the help I had, or it would have been total chaos.  As it was .... most of the unfortunates who had thought registering at the hotel constituted registering for the meeting did not speak English.  Since neither myself nor any people helping me spoke Japanese or Chinese it was difficult and frustrating for all those involved.  But at 7:15 we were finished and then we could enjoy the gorgeous food at the reception.  By 8:30 I was ready to call it a day.  My clock is still on Seattle time, and I don't mind a bit.  I sleep early and wake up early feeling awesome!

This morning as I was sitting at the desk staring out at the ocean I caught something out of the corner of my eye.  Ah!  A hummingbird!  And then it got closer and I saw that it was most definitely NOT a hummingbird but instead the largest bumblebee I had ever seen!  That was a nasty surprise.

I thought I would head downtown to have lunch, so I caught the little open air shuttle and road down to a beautiful little fish restaurant and ate some fish tostados.  Excellent.  And then a little stroll along the beach.  All the time looking out to the horizon for telltale spurts from the whales.  No luck.  I was hoping to get together with an old school friend and gave a call, but found out he's staying up north in a fancy hotel with a woman.  Ah ... sex trumps getting together with old school friends.  Everyone knows that.  Hopefully he can cut himself loose before I leave, but I won't count on it.

The shuttle only runs every two hours so I started walking the four miles back to the hotel, but two miles in sandals is about all I could do comfortably, so I found a place in the shade to wait.  I got plenty of sun today.  I was thinking of spending another out at the pool but thought better of it.  I don't want to over do the sun, especially since I'm going to be on a boat tomorrow afternoon whale watching.  I'll have plenty of sunscreen but still, I really don't want to get burned.

We have a luau tonight at 7 pm but that's more than 3 hours from now.  I think I'll have a shower and then go to the bar on the water and watch the sun go down and have a fancy tropical drink.  Oh .... and feel just a little bit guilty that I'm here and Seattle is snowy. 

No comments: