31 January, 2012

Dry bath

Giving Tinkerbell a bath is really a weekend project because, especially in the winter, I must do it early enough in the day so that she can completely dry before bedtime or she is cold and uncomfortable all night.  Therefore,  I had to look for another way to get her clean yesterday evening.  Instead of just giving her a good long brushing I searched for a dry shampoo formula I could use to get her clean and smelling good.  There are quite a few "recipes" out there and I realized that basically it's just some sort of powder (talc or corn starch or a mix) with some corn meal mixed in to exfoliate and absorb dirt and residue.  I mixed up a container of corn meal and rose scented bath powder and set to work, after a nice long walk, massaging it into her coat and skin and then brushing and brushing and brushing.  And it worked!  She's not sparkling clean like after a bath, but she's definitely cleaner and smells a lot better.  But I don't think I'm going to be able to wait the entire rest of this month before I get her groomed.  I'll have to get creative.

I had all good intentions of starting my two a day workouts again yesterday, but I didn't do it after all.  I did have a great run, but I had so much I wanted to accomplish after work and I was sleepy too.  Last night I stayed up too late reading and then was awakened two times at least by people slamming the hall door.  I am going to have to speak to the manager about getting that door fixed.  All of the other end of hall doors have governors on them so people go through and let them go and they gently hiss closed.  For some reason the one at the end of my hall, and just a couple of feet from my front door, does not have one and it slams with a vengeance if you let it go.  That was probably why I woke up a couple of times on Sunday night as well. 

The mittens are coming along -- I am getting a bit bored with them, actually.  I want them done and it's getting closer.  Just a few more hours.  The ribbing of the main portion is nearly done - maybe an inch left.  Then it's the pop tops and the thumbs.  I should easily be able to finish them this week, not that I need them.  The weather is increasingly mild.  For me, I haven't even felt winter yet this year.  I wonder if I'll be so lucky as to miss it altogether?  The coming weekend is supposed to be sunny and in the low 50s.  Of course the weekend after is the race weekend, so most likely it'll be cold and wet.

Speaking of the race -- I noticed on the registration web site that this year they are incorporating a "Tunnel of Love" near the end of the race.  Whose bright idea was this?  The premise is that if one wishes to leave a message of encouragement or love for a person running the race you send it to them and they post all of the notes up in a tunnel that all the runner go through to the finish line.  Think about it though ... that's the point where you're running as fast and as hard as you can.  Who is going to stop and search the tunnel for a note??  Wouldn't it be a better idea to have it set up somewhere people can look at it before the race starts?  There is going to be a Love 'em or Leave 'em race in San Francisco this year as well and they're doing the same thing - putting it at the end of the route.  Stupid, isn't it?

No comments: