02 January, 2012

The new year starts out auspiciously

The party New Year's Eve was quite fun, although it was slow starting.  Since Monika had volunteered to drive we needed to make our way to their house and since neither McG nor myself was intending NOT to drink, we decided to take public transportation from my place.  I researched the route, McG got here in time and we were out the door and to the bus stop in time to catch what I was lead to believe was the bus downtown to connect with the train.  Somehow I misread the route and we were instead dropped off at the transit station to catch a different bus downtown.  Not a big deal -- we found the bus we needed and made our way to the stop.  There was only room for one on the bench and of course McG sat himself down and left me standing in crazy high heels.  Not that I expect anything else from him, mind you.  Unfortunately he plopped himself down next to a young man who took exception to his lack of manners,  and they got into a little heated discussion.  The young man started talking about how he had just gotten out of the "joint" and did McG want to "throw down"?  And oh by the way, McG was "nothin'!"  Thankfully we were saved by the arrival of a bus, not our bus but at least it interrupted the posturing.  The rest of the ride was uneventful, and we got on the train and there was the car and off we went to Kent.

There was dancing and food and plenty of laughs.  The host had made the "Better than Sex Chocolate Cake" that I mentioned a few months ago.  I tasted it and I am here to tell you that it's NOT better than sex -- well, not all sex.  Maybe it's better than some, but not the out-of-body type.  Not by a long shot.  I am happy to report that I pretty much stayed out of trouble at the party ... sometimes I tend to get a little sassy and I guess I did just a little, because when the host brought out a big bottle of Cook's and asked if anyone wanted some champagne to toast the new year and I piped up, "That's not champagne!"  He said, "Okay, Miss SnootyPants".  He is an executive and travels to Europe frequently so he darned well knows that's not champagne too.  I must not have insulted him too badly because he gave me a Sonicare Toothbrush!  It's nice and it was a bit of a surprise when I opened my purse the next morning and found it there.  I had a bit of a headache, not too bad, and I had fallen asleep with my contacts in, but at least I didn't find any other surprises other than the toothbrush, and that's a GOOD surprise.

The day was just beautiful and sunny and very mild.  Tink and I set off for our long weekend walk and I discovered a nature trail!  It's odd, I've been here nine months and I never realized that there was a large network of trails on the campus of the Community College -- a nature conservatory wetland.  Tink and I explored it today and it's really lovely!  It will be gorgeous when it snows and in the spring too.  There are little bridges and a pond.  It is between the school and the freeway so it's noisy but it's nice to have a different place to go on our walks, and if I have my headphones on the freeway isn't even noticeable.

Plenty of football yesterday afternoon and in the evening a marathon of "Absolutely Fabulous" on BBC America.  There is a 20th anniversary special next weekend that I am looking forward to watching.

And now last day of vacation.  It's laundry and little chores.  I have a busy couple of days coming up.  I have been so loving sleeping in - two days in a row now Tink has let me sleep until after 9!  It's going to be tough to get up early tomorrow.  Very tough.

No comments: