19 January, 2012

A state of emergency in Seattle?

I got the alert on my iPhone and iPad early this morning that the governor declared a state of emergency due to the winter storm.  From what I've been able to gather, after the snow there was freezing rain so the roads are extremely hazardous and trees are falling and power is out to many.  The airport was shut down early this morning for a few hours but planes were again able to land after 8:30 am.  According to the weather report, the temperatures should begin to rise tonight and by tomorrow be in the mid-40s and raining, which means I will more than likely come into a cold and wet, but mostly snow and ice free Seattle.  My airport parking is very near the freeway entrance and it should be smooth sailing all the way home.  The arterial roads by my apartment are well traveled as well, so I am absolutely not going to worry.  I do wish I had taken the time to put gas in the car .... typical female move.  I know I have plenty to get home but that's not the point, is it?  It is what it is.  I'll be fine.

Yesterday day was a completely self-indulgent and gloriously relaxing day.  Neither my cousin nor my friend got in touch, so I was on my own all day and all evening.  After I finished my work ... which, by the way, was all for naught since the University was closed for a second day due to weather ... I covered myself in tanning cream and went by the pool to do some serious tanning.  I had a great book to read in my iPad ... left handed all the way ... and managed to stay out there for about two hours, which was plenty.  We had a box lunch to take away and I ate a piece of the sandwich and then put the rest in the refrigerator in my room and changed into shorts and headed out to read at the ocean side outdoor bar.  But it was packed, so I headed back to the hotel lobby, snagged a super comfortable chair, bought a cold beer and sat there for several hours reading.  But then the clouds moved in and it was not so comfortable, so I went back to my room and lazed around, watching the clouds move in and the water change colors to grey. 

When the sun started to set I cleaned up a bit and went down to have a couple drinks and dinner and watch the sun go down.  It was great because there were clouds out on the horizon so it wasn't killer bright.  The food situation is not great at this hotel when the main dining room isn't open, which is most nights, unfortunately.  They used to have a really wonderful hamburger, but it isn't on the menu any more, if you can believe that.  I had a roast beef sandwich, which was just okay.  And I sat there reading until it was completely dark outside.  And then I went upstairs and finished the book!  With the exception of the few chapters I read on Wednesday, I read the entire book in a day.  I can't tell you how long it has been that I have had such an experience.  Years.

Today, at last, I get to take the whale watching tour.  I have to check in at the pier at 12:30 but to get there ... unless I want to pay a $30 tax fare, which I do not ... I have to take the shuttle leaving here at 10:55.  If I stay on after the first pier stop and go up the hill to the brewery and shopping center and then back down the hill to the pier it is an hour ride, getting me there 30 minutes before check in and 1 hour before the tour.  If I'm lucky and it's on time returning from the tour, I should be able to catch the shuttle back here at 3:45.  We have a cocktail hour and banquet tonight.  Hopefully we will have a decent meal.  It is crazy -- here were are in a climate that should be able to grow just about anything and yes, there is plenty of fruit, but vegetables are not abundant.  It's no wonder that much of the population is over weight.

No comments: