09 January, 2012

Practically nailed it

My first try at mushroom soup was a success -- not completely perfect but near enough.  I was trying to get the texture of the soup I had at a very romantic restaurant in Windsor in November and I came very close indeed.  My only complaint is that my soup is a bit too thick.  Last night I diluted one cup of it with 1/2 cup of chicken stock and that was ideal.  I made this first batch with 8 ounces of sliced white mushrooms, 6 ounces or Portobello mushrooms and a packet of dried wild mushrooms (rehydrated, of course) and an onion and chicken stock.  Next time I think I'll skip the 6 ounces of Portobello and add another cup of liquid, and that should be perfect.  But as it is, it's like a mushroom soup concentrate and still quite yummy.

Besides making mushroom soup this past weekend, my other aim was to finish the ruffle of the (huge) wrap and start on the body, and I accomplished that as well.  There were NFL playoff games to watch Saturday and Sunday and that made for perfect knitting time.  Both days I got my 1 1/2 hour walk with Tinkerbell and chores done early and I had a luxurious amount of time for just goofing off.  Sometimes my weekend just seem to zip by with a million and one chores and errands but this past weekend wasn't one of those.  I'm not complaining.

It's windy but still not cold.  That's fine with me and really we're only a few weeks into actual winter.  I'm sure we'll get nasty weather soon enough.  Probably February ... but now I've got two fun things to look forward to in February.  The first is the race on the 11th and then at the end of the month I'm going to a fundraiser - a Mardi Gras themed party/silent auction thing for a women's shelter.  That is going to be fun!  And, bonus, a reason to dress up!  I think March is going to be the tough month this year.  I need to plan a getaway for March or April, because if not it'll be a long long stretch between this trip coming up and the next one, which is a business meeting as well, in June in Portland, Oregon.  It'll be a train ride.  Not that exciting. 


No comments: