02 August, 2006

Men & women are SO different!!

I know that's a trite sentiment, but sometimes it's just comical to observe such vastly different mindsets. It is indeed quite astonishing that we ever get together. Yesterday evening as I was walking Tinkerbell we passed our local pub, the Ravenna Alehouse. There are tables outside and from time to time I go there when the weather is nice because I can sit outside with Tink and have a beer. I have become acquainted with a group of guys that hang out there regularly after work - a low brow, working crowd but very very nice guys. So I'm sitting there last night with two of the guys, one of which has long hair in a pony tail. Guy A is teasing guy B about getting his hair cut. Seems that guy B is cutting off his pony tail after many years and the bar owner has offered to pay if he'll actually do it. It's all a big joke and we're laughing and egging him on. While he is next door arranging for his shearing I asked guy A what was up? Why was he cutting his hair after all this time. Guy A shrugged and said he didn't know. I said, well it must be a woman! Did he get a new girlfriend or break up or something? Hmmmm, guy A is thinking ..... ah! Yes, he said, he thinks he broke up with a woman. These men hang out regularly, get it? So guy B comes back and I ask him what has precipitated this change. Did he get a new girlfriend, or ??? And he said well he'd been brutally dumped less than two weeks ago by his girlfriend of 5 years! He said he should actually still be in the sweat pants stage but he was trying hard to get out, etc. Ladies, are you with me? Can you imagine hanging out with a woman most nights every week and NOT know that she'd been dumped? And not know every freaking detail?? The conversation then veered toward brutal dumpings and we all tried to out do each other with the heinous crimes perpetrated upon us by various ex-boyfriends and girlfriends. Quite entertaining. And eye opening as well.

Football -- yesterday as I was leaving the IMA (the gym here on campus) I saw Coach Willingham in front of the Athletic Building talking with a woman. I must have gotten a goofy grin on my face as I passed by because he smiled and nodded at me. Ooooo! I almost squealed like a schoolgirl! Football season. yay!

I didn't knit at all last night. I stayed at the pub, had pizza and came home and read and went to bed. This evening I'm getting my hair done so I'll have plenty of time to work on my Green Gables. I'm going out tomorrow and Friday nights and having company Saturday so I won't get much done. Maybe Sunday I can do a little yard work and then have the whole rest of the afternoon and evening. Sounds like a plan.

No comments: