07 August, 2006

Stereotypes - alive and well

I ran into that "YOU knit?!??" stereotype for the first time and I was rather taken aback. "Yyyes!," I sputtered, "It's cool and fun and .. and". No need to get defensive, right? But wow! I read an article in the latest Vogue Knitting, an interview with Tracy Ullman (1 "L" or 2?). She was talking about how she knit a tie for Jay Leno and he wasn't impressed at all. She took it back and gave it to someone else. Her message was "Guys just generally don't get it. If you're single, HIDE your knitting!" Not that this person was a romantic interest, but a guy with a guy's perspective. I wanted to haul out some of my more gorgeous things - my "Banff", my "Simply Marilyn" but it wouldn't have impressed him I don't think. It's the stereotype that knitting is for grannies. Jeeeepers!! So that's going to have to be a calculated step - the first time he sees me in my glasses, the first time he sees me with no makeup and in my sweats and last but not least, bring on the knitting!! If he still wants me after seeing me with pointed sticks in my hands I will know I've found a winner!!

I had a busy and productive weekend. Sometimes I think that heaven must be Seattle in the summer. It was just perfect this weekend. Not too hot, blue skies and a big ol' sale on at Macy's!! I had to go to the mall to pick up some scarf valances to finish my little redecoration of the living room. Well not really finish ... not really, because the last of the blinds needs to be put up but it has got to be cut down a bit, and also a curtain rod needs to be moved down. My friend A is helping me out of the goodness of his heart so I'm not bugging him. But it's MOSTLY finished and it looks lovely, if I do say so myself. Very girlie. Anyway, I went for a specific thing and didn't mean to look at the sales but I was on the phone with my sister and spied a white skirt, on sale, and I had to find a top to go with it to try it on with, right? And then I was still talking to my sis so I stopped by the clearance rack and found a pair of Calvin Klein sailor pants in that light, drapey denim marked down from $98 to $18. Uh huh. And a very cute almost madras plaid skirt. As luck would have it, everything fit. Swung past the sale shoes and lo and behold, the very same pair of 9 West rope soled wedgie shell strap thongs that I had been coveting all season were also there, in my size (how's that for fate?) Snapped them up as well. VERY satisfying shopping expedition.

The only knitting I accomplished this weekend was a good chunk of that ribbon shrug. I have decided since my friend K loves it so much and I sure as heck don't want to make another one, I'll just give this one to her. I mostly use my Noro Flower Power shrug anyway. I have to bake my B'day cake tonight and other than that, I'm going to work on Green Gables.

I found out what stash is for besides looking cool on a shelf. The skirt I bought has some very odd colors and I don't seem to have a top to go with it - at least not a transition top. I have a pink sweater that will be perfect but not for a few months. BUT I have some cotton ribbon I bought for a little cardigan and it would be PERFECT! I had to stop myself twice from casting on for it. Three projects at a time is my limit.

No comments: