24 March, 2010

I am STILL steamed!!

Oh those guys!! I was really looking forward to our little quickie rehearsal yesterday. I've been quite busy at work lately since I've gotten back on my two legs, and let's face it - I look for ways to escape the house when we have our "guest" [who, by the way, crammed an oversize suitcase into the closet in the guest room where I have clothes and bent or otherwise sprung the door!!] so I was a little disappointed when I didn't receive a call telling me the rehearsal was on. I did a little knitting and was just finishing up making a salad when the phone rings at 6:30 and it's the drummer asking me if I'm okay and if I'm coming to rehearsal! Here I must confessed that I snapped and replied in a rather loud tone, "NO I'm not coming to rehearsal!! You were supposed to call me!" Then I cursed a few times, and there was some hollering going on there in the background and then I cursed a few more times. It really made me mad!! How freaking difficult is it to let me know? If I don't hear from Doug and I show up, then there's no rehearsal. From now on I'm just going to have to take it upon myself to call each and every time to make sure we're still on. Now if I could just let it go!!

Last weekend I was knitting on the lace border and listening to the final Ricky Gervais audiobook. I realized that I don't make mistakes when I'm listening to audiobooks as opposed to music. When I listen to music and try to knit something I need to concentrate on it's hopeless because my mind wanders, whereas it doesn't do that when I'm listing to spoken word. So on Monday I bought another audiobook. A few years ago Christopher Hitchens mentioned a series in an article in Vanity Fair about Flashman which sounded amusing. A few weeks ago another friend of mind mentioned it so I thought that might be a good one to start my audiobook adventure with. I downloaded "Flashman and the Tiger". Not the first in the series, which I would have preferred, but the only unabridged version of the series on iTunes. I am enjoying the book but not the narrator. Although I have never read the book and therefore don't have a voice for the protagonist, this narrator, David Case, sounds as if he's always running out of breath. I am assuming it's an affectation but it annoys me. I looked him up on audible.com. He died in 2005 of throat cancer and was one of the most celebrated narrators. Perhaps I should try something else from him.

But anyway, while listening last evening I managed to do a few more repeats on the never ending lace border. Hopefully I can finish it up this lunchtime at noon knitting and then tonight pick up the stitches and be on my merry way to finishing this monster!!

No comments: