11 March, 2010

I shall rant AND rave

First the rave: It was pouring rain this morning and even though I received my new waterproof Ortlieb panniers yesterday I decided to forget the bike ride and take the bus. (My cough and wheezing has returned and I thought it best not to get soaking wet this morning. I'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow). As usual I got to the crosswalk at Lake City Way and here comes my bus. The light turned green after it had started loading passengers but I charged across the street and as I rounded the end of the bus it started to leave. Thankfully there was a man standing waiting for another bus and he waved to the driver who stopped for me. I waved a "thank you" at the guy. That was very nice, especially considering it was raining.

Now here's the rant: I spent the greater part of yesterday fussing with my restored computer. Because of the virus I got from who knows where, the hard drive had to be cleaned and everything reloaded. I've had this particular machine for quite a while now -- probably 5 years, maybe more. And while I'm grateful I didn't lose any of my files, the hassle of reconfiguring things is HUGE! I spent a few hours -- no exaggeration -- trying to reconfigure my mail client, Thunderbird. The UW has thoughtfully provided detailed instructions on how to configure it to run the UW mail, but the instructions were out of date by a version so I had to just wing it. I got it working in that I could read messages and receive messages but I couldn't sent messages. I contacted the UW IT department and got a reply and this morning got it running correctly. Unfortunately my entire address book is gone. *sigh* But my rant isn't about that, it's about the JERKS who write and disseminate these viruses in the first place. What is the point? How can they get satisfaction from doing this when they can't even see the trouble they are causing? Obviously I'm missing something. Something besides half a day. And I'm NOT in a good mood. I hope today is a little less frustrating. I couldn't even cook dinner yesterday. Thank goodness I had a nice hard bike ride to unleash some of that frustration.

I wanted to work more on the stole that I started at lunchtime yesterday but I was just too agitated when I got home. I need my house guest to leave, is what I need.

No comments: