20 May, 2010

Enough!

Despite the beautiful start to the day, by lunchtime yesterday the sky was gray and wind warnings were in effect. Luckily I had left my rain pants in my pannier so when I was ready to bike home I togged up in all my rain gear and headed out. It was rainy, windy and miserable. About 4 or 5 miles into the ride the skies opened up. I have never in all my 18 years of riding to work experienced a storm like that. Rain gear can only do so much and I was sopping wet by the time I made it home. What a mess! I stripped off my bike gear in the garage and took my shoes, gloves and head band upstairs to the laundry room. I realized in the middle of the night that I hadn't put them into the dryer so I took care of it as soon as I got up but it wasn't soon enough and I was not willing to bike into work wearing damp shoes and gloves. If it had been a warm day, perhaps. But it is again windy and unseasonably cold so Commute Challenge be damned. I drove in. It's not like we're in the top few teams and I'm sinking us. Do I need to say (again) I am sick of this weather?

I was more than a little beat up after that ride last night and I didn't do much of anything but knit a little and make some dinner. My new iPhone headphones came yesterday. They are Sennheiser ones and make a HUGE difference. The ones that came with the iPhone were really terrible compared to these. The noise cancellation is unbelievable. So I went up to bed early and while Mr. M was watching some terrible movie in the theatre I lay in bed and watched The Hangover on my iPhone.

I only have a few more rows to go on the left sleeve of the Whisper Cardigan, then I have to pick up stitches all around it. What a clever piece of construction this is. First you make a simple shrug, cuff to cuff starting off in the round and ending in the round with 22 inches flat for the back. Then, like a typical shrug, you pick up stitches around for ribbing. What makes this one different is after the ribbing you bind off for the lapels/collar and keep knitting at the waist in stockinette stitch with short rows and increases for fit and flair until it gets to a normal length for a cardigan. Also the lace weight yarn on larger needles make an almost spongy fabric. It will be perfect for just a bit of added warmth when a wrap is just too gay.

No comments: