13 May, 2010

Lilacs

Lilacs are my very favorite springtime flower. Perhaps because they are so fleeting? But what I noticed yesterday on the way home was that on the trail they are still in full bloom, just reaching their peak, and the scent is still strong. But in the neighborhoods they are spent. I suppose because it's just that much cooler down along the trail by the lake. And also along the trail they have gone wild, so to speak. I suppose at one time they were part of someone's kept garden, but as they years went by I think a lot of people along the trail have let the back portions of the gardens go a bit so they could have privacy from the traffic. They are therefore mostly out of reach for cutting and so they go crazy every year. [I wish I could go crazy every year ... but I digress.]

I got a new knitting book yesterday. I bought it on Amazon because there was a skirt pattern I wanted in it, and it is in fact a pretty nice book. It's called "Knitting Green: Conversations and Planet Friendly Projects. Besides the skirt there are a couple nice sweaters in there - a hoodie I particular like. And interesting information on sustainable fibers as well.

The weather is gorgeous today and it's supposed to be even nicer tomorrow. Makes for a gorgeous bike commute and a tough day catching fleeting glimpses of the sunshine. I will go have a nice walk outside today at lunchtime. I've got another great audio book to listen to. It is the third book by Benjamin Black, narrated by Timothy Dalton, titled 'Elegy for April'. I did get a library card because I was told one could get free audio books to download to the iPhone however I have yet to find a book that I want! All the titles I have searched for were not available. I'll have to take a little more time to go through the available titles, but in the meantime I guess I'm just going to have to keep paying Audible.com! And try not to listen to them too quickly.

No comments: