10 May, 2010

Finished!

I took Friday off as a vacation day. It was a beautiful day and Mike and I had stayed up way to late the night before gossiping and I wanted some time in the morning with him too. So we had a leisurely morning, then when he and Mr. M had left I got outside and put in my vegetable garden. It took me quite a while to clean out those three raised beds and to mix in the compost. Then I planted my starts, rearranged the soaker hoses, put out the slug bait. Whew! It looks great though and I'm so glad it's finally done. Although it's cloudy and rainy today it is supposed to be nice the rest of the week and I want them to be all well established and flourishing before we leave for our vacation in June.

The rest of the day I spent on the Tangled Yoke Cardigan, as well as all my free time on Saturday AND Sunday. I finally finished it yesterday evening around 7 and got it washed and blocked. I am pretty happy with it even though the finishing gave me fits! First of all I could not for the life of me figure out how to pick up the stitches from the purl bumps below the start of the neck ribbing so I could do the 3-needle bind off. I tried and tried and was getting very frustrated so I finally just bound it off and ended up tacking it down by hand. It wasn't until I was coming home from rehearsal about 10:30 that evening that I realized that I could have just folded the fabric and picked up the stitches from the edge. Duh. My other frustrating moment was after I had Kitchner stitched the first underarm, AND had the yarn break in the middle of the exercise only to find that I had done it all on the WRONG SIDE!! There was a huge ugly seam under the arm. Well I couldn't have that, so I had to pick it out and do it over. It was extremely difficult to do, especially because of the broken yarn .... gah! I got it done and of course did not make the same mistake on the other side. Now all I have left to do is find the right buttons. That'll be my chore for this coming weekend, which is already shaping up to be very busy.

I was still rather jangled after getting that project done last night but I knew better than to start sewing my Great Gatsby dress together. That is for tonight.

I kind of felt bad about skipping out on my ride miles for Friday but it was good to have the day off. I made up for it today by having to ride in the rain. Ugh. I even had to use my rain pants. Hopefully that'll be the only time this month. Oh ... no, I am really not that crazy. I know it won't be the last, but I can hope.

No comments: