17 May, 2010

Those darned squirrels!!!

I have been tending my little vegetable garden, watching the starts settle in and begin to grow. I couldn't find corn starts at the nursery so instead just bought a packet of seeds. I noticed Friday that they were starting to come up and I was pretty happy about that. I looked again Saturday and they were getting bigger and I was thinking that maybe next weekend I could thin them out, maybe make two rows. Yesterday evening, what did I find? Nibbled shoots and little holes! Those squirrels must have dug up the sprouted seeds. I know it was squirrels because they are in the back all the time and I shooed one out of the tomatoes a couple days ago. All they ever touch are the corn seeds. Those rascals! I hope I can find some corn starts this weekend. If not .... I guess I'll have to think of something else we'll eat.

I had a million and one errands to run on Saturday and so I got at it pretty early. One of the things I had to do was find buttons for my cashmere Tangled Yoke Cardigan. And I found the absolutely MOST perfect buttons in the world for that sweater. I won't even try to describe them. When I put them on this week I'll post pictures. I couldn't be happier.

We went out to see that band Saturday night. They were good - not exciting but they were proficient. There was no chatter - no rapport with the audience which I found most strange. The girl singers were fine. I don't know what Doug was on about. The keyboard player was the best. It was held in a small community center, no refreshments served. It was BYO but we didn't know that. Partly the crowd was made up of people who attended a certain high school with two of the guys I play with and some in the band, so I felt a little out of place. Add to that a blinding headache and it makes for a pretty terrible evening. We stayed for one set.

Sunday we had a late (a week late) Mother's Day brunch with Mr. M's mom, then I had the afternoon to do laundry and knit. Unfortunately, on Friday I had walked to the bike store at lunchtime to pick up something and while I was shopping I had draped my iPhone earbuds around my neck. They slipped off and I stepped on them, rendering them useless. I couldn't listen to my audiobook while knitting! I've got a new pair on order but I'm going to be jonesing for my book all week.

I worked on the Whisper Cardigan - again, meant to take a picture before I left this morning but spaced it. It's very colorful - pink to turquoise to olive green and back again. It'll be fun though and I'm chugging right along. I've finished the first sleeve and am almost ready to start on the second sleeve, having knitted most of the back. I would be able to get going on the sleeve tonight except McG and Steve & Ginny are coming over to watch game one of the Suns basketball playoff.

No comments: