21 September, 2011

Sleepwalking to work

A few weeks ago I got a notice in the mail that work would begin soon at nights on the express lanes of the freeway, adding lights and other things.  I can't remember exactly when it is due to start, but I remember thinking that by that time it should be cold enough to sleep with the window mostly closed so I most likely wouldn't be bothered by it.  But it seemed very noisy last night -- maybe I was just thinking about it or perhaps there was something going on at the medical center parking lot.  Whatever the reason I didn't sleep soundly and I woke up at 2am from noise outside my window.  Then I was sunk.  I couldn't shut out the noise, normal or not.  I took another Benadryl, figuring since it was 2 I'd have plenty of time to sleep off the effects.   I did okay, although I was a little late getting up, but I managed to catch a bus at 7:40, which gets me here at an acceptable time.  I catch two buses.  The first is either a 16 or 316 and the second a 48.  I have an app on my iPhone that tells me when the next bus will arrive at a particular stop and at each of those stops, both coming and going, I have programmed in just the buses I catch, not all buses that stop there.  This morning, in a daze listening to my audio book and still groggy,  instead of getting onto a 48 at my second stop I got onto the 316.  Thankfully I realized my mistake in time to get off at a stop where I could walk to catch the 48.  I am a menace to myself.

A little time was spent yesterday afternoon working out the details of getting around while I'm in Europe.  I never think about flying when I'm there, but usually just take the trains to get around.  But it's not very convenient to get from London to Luxembourg by train.  You can take a fast train to Brussels, but then it's the slow, normal train to Luxembourg from there, making it a four hour journey.  Or, you can fly there in about 1 1/2 hours.  And the price round trip is just about the same.  It's a no brainer.  So today I'm going to book my flight, after a chat with Emma about schedule.  We'll take the train to Paris to and from Luxembourg and she's going to take care of booking that.  Everything is falling into place!  And this time I am going to pack light.  Seriously.  I practiced when I went to Las Vegas.  I don't want a big bag to have to lug around to and from the airport and train stations and through the train stations.  If I am organized and plan on doing laundry a couple of times I should be okay with one bag.  I just have to make sure that I pack only what I will wear and nothing bulky.  The hard part is gong to be the shoes.  I really want to get by with 3 pairs - boots, dressy shoes, and something in between.  I am guessing I'm going to have to go with a fourth pair.  Well, plenty of time left to figure it out.

I wasn't up late last night.  It was a busy day at work and I had a very satisfying run.  All I wanted to do was cook some dinner and catch up on a little TV, knit a bit or maybe read.  I did a little of all three and was astonished at how quickly the evening went by.  I brought my cardigan to noon knitting today.  I am going to have to put it aside soon to finish up the Cloisonne Jacket before the weather turns.  It's going to be nearly 80 today.  Love the Indian summer!

No comments: