29 March, 2012

A committee of one

I must confess I am getting a little excited about this golf tournament and dinner this summer.  I have found, much to my delight, that although many people are quite keen on having this event, no body wants to actually DO it, which makes my job all that much easier.  I basically have carte blanche to set it up however and wherever I want to as long as I do all the work.  I have a group of people willing to volunteer to do little things and otherwise it's all up to me.  Frankly, I like that the best.  No interference.  Of course, if the event falls flat then I must take all the blame, but there's not too much chance of that happening.  So, yesterday I nailed down a venue and Saturday I'm going to go take a look at the club and get the contract.  Because my supposed second in command has plans for the weekend we typically hold this I have moved it to August 11.  Fingers crossed, we have pretty good weather in August so hopefully that won't be an issue.  Next week I will send a "save the date" email out and post notices on several web sites and then when I get back from my trip in May I'll start working away in earnest to get people to attend.  I suspect that's going to be the tough part, except for the group of 20 or so who always attend.

At noon knitting yesterday I finished and bound off the sleeve of the Whisper Cardigan but I didn't get around to picking up those stitches and I didn't do it last night either.  I was feeling great yesterday from all that sleep I got, but I just wasn't in the mood for the fiddly business of picking up those 200 plus stitches.  Maybe tonight, but certainly this weekend because I really do want to finish that up before I leave.  That gives me 18 days because I certainly won't be working on it after the 16th.

It wasn't raining at lunch yesterday but it was cloudy.  When I got home Tink and I walked over to Northgate so I could pick up my Clinique order.  It started out dry but by the time we left the mall it was POURING rain!  I didn't have a hat or an umbrella, just my pashmina which I put over my head and which did little or nothing to protect me.  It's not a long walk back, about 15 minutes, but we were both soaked by the time we got home.  And it continued for hours, sprinkling and then pouring.  At one point during one of the worst downpours Tinkerbell definitely had to go outside.  I togged up and out we went.  You can bet she didn't last much longer than what it took to get her business done.  It's still raining and there's a chance I won't be able to run at lunch.  Or rather, there's a chance I won't WANT to run at lunch.  I love running in drizzle or little sprinkles but I draw the line at a downpour.

Monika had a wonderful book with her at the noon knitting yesterday and I fell in love with this top.  I broke my yarn diet and actually purchased yarn to make this top.  I bought Aimee in a lovely peachy-pink.  Aimee is the yarn I used to make my Rondelle top last year, which I love.  The yarn is cashmere and cotton - the best of both worlds.  At the hem there is beautiful detail which doesn't show up too well in this picture.  Because of the yarn used by the designer they did it in pieces, but I am using a yarn that has a bit more elasticity so I will do it in the round up to the arms in the back and up to the placket in the front.  What might not be obvious from the picture is that the placket is done sideways by picking up stitches after the body is made, and the sleeves are picked up and, after shoulder short rows, knit down.  I know I have a billion and one other projects either in the wings or started, but I am excited about this one.

No comments: