26 March, 2012

Stormy Monday

While the trees and the flowers and the birds know it's spring, somehow the weather still isn't cooperating fully.  The weekend wasn't bad.  We did have some sun on Saturday and Sunday and the temperatures even got up to about 55, but we're back to stormy weather again today.  The courtyard at the apartment complex is beautiful with all of the flowering trees and the spring bulbs coming up.  I just wish it would warm up just a bit more. 

Cold weather or not, Tink and I had 2 hour walks to the lake both Saturday and Sunday.  And again she went into the cold cold water!  It doesn't seem to phase her in the least, although she doesn't stay in the lake nearly so long as she does in the summer.  That two hour walk and a couple of 1/2 hour ones later in the day keep her nice and quiet.  I like the idea that I'm wearing her out because she really needs the exercise considering that she mostly sleeps the entire rest of the week.

Saturday was nothing special - a few errands, laundry and a good bit of knitting.  Sunday was a repeat except I had fun errands.  I got my nails done and then headed out to find a new suitcase.  And I found a great one!  It's just a little bit bigger than my older one and I am hoping those few inches will make the difference between having to us an overflow duffel.  It's nice and light and has the spinning wheels.  I am anticipating being able to get everything I need in this bag with a little extra wiggle room for the expansion that seems to happen every time I travel.  But just to be safe I will pack the duffel I bought in Paris in November in case.  It's three long long weeks away, I know.  But getting a new suitcase makes it feel a bit more immediate.

When we were coming back from our Sunday evening walk a woman and her black terrier mix were walking towards us as we headed down the parking lot towards our building door.  This dog was going crazy, barking at Tink who was not that interested.  But as the other dog increased it's barking Tink started to bark as well.  I moved towards the far side away from them and stopped, hoping the woman would pass us.  However, she stopped and tried to quiet her dog.  She did a very poor job of it, grabbed the dog's collar and he slipped out of the collar and made a mad dash towards us, teeth bared.  At that point I started to bend over to pick Tink up and get her out of the way of this charging animal and the woman yelled, "Oh, he won't hurt her".  "Yes he will"! I said as I struggled to pick her up.  Unfortunately I couldn't get her up in time and before I knew it the dog was heading for her neck.  I managed to get my body between them somehow and pushed him away just as his teeth were going to come down on her shoulder.  By that time the woman was there called her dog away as we made our way into the building.  I was SO mad!  Tink was in a state and went and hid in the bedroom for about an hour.  She got over it and wanted to play ball later, but when we were in bed and the storm started blowing the blinds around and making noises outside I had to close the window because it freaked her out.  She kept trying to get as close as possible to me, which means when she is right next to me she scratches to get even closer.  I swear, if that woman and her dog get anywhere near us again I'm going to .... well, I don't know what. 

I still haven't done anything concrete about that golf tournament and dinner I'm suppposed to be organizing.  That's on my list for today.  Nail down a venue.

No comments: