28 March, 2012

What a difference a door makes

I have been complaining about the hall door outside of my apartment for months.  Last Thursday night I was awakened, as usual, several times.  The next evening when I got home the door was propped open and I left it that way.  Guess how many times I woke up that night?  Zero.  I spoke with one of the managers on the weekend and explained that it was at least the third time I had come to her with this problem, that she herself had gone through that door twice and slammed it that very day.  People don't notice because by the time it slams behind them they are half way down the corridor and it doesn't register.  I got a telephone call yesterday afternoon from one of the maintenance men asking for clarification on which door exactly so I was very excited to get home and experience the newly silenced door.  Unfortunately rather than fix the problem itself, which is that the mechanism needs to be either adjusted or replaced in order to work properly, they just added another layer of rubber around the door so that it doesn't slam quite so hard or so noisily.  It is only a matter of time before the rubber wears down and it is back to slamming just as loudly, but at least for a while I will be able to sleep. 

I was very tired again yesterday and even though I had all good intentions of working on the Whisper Cardigan I couldn't muster the energy after all the little things I had going on after work.  Tinkerbell got some good chase the ball time, I got a pot of soup started and that was about it before I headed in to read.  The good ... no, great ... news is that I had a glorious, uninterrupted night and I feel like a new person today.  It's amazing how insidious that slamming was and how waking up time and again during the night is very wearing.

What is it about Wednesdays?  The stormy weather had me running in the rain yesterday, although I much prefer that to the wind.  And now this morning it's gorgeous!  It won't last because I saw the clouds as I was coming in, but it was nice and calm.  I can use the rest today though and maybe tomorrow it'll be decent at lunchtime.  Not that I mind getting a little wet when I run, but the wind I can do without.  I still haven't been able to find a 5K for May but I am certain there must be something going on for the holiday weekend at the end of the month.  I'll need to look some more before I leave.

No comments: