24 May, 2012

The big mystery

Yesterday afternoon as I was checking for mail I heard one of the women in the office complaining of her mosquito bites.  And oddly I had noticed some myself that morning.  One on my shoulder blade - a bit awkward, that one, and a couple on my my knee and ankle.  Only I can't figure out where they came from.  Yes, I sleep with my windows open, but they are screened and I've checked the screens for holes and they have none.  There is a marshy area ... or rather marshy areas ... on parts of our daily walks so I suspect that must be where I am getting bit.  It seems a early for that kind of action but it has been extraordinarily wet lately.

Noon knitting was very productive for me, getting 12 of the 16 rows done that I need to before I start the shaping, but I was more in the mood for a good read than knitting last night after dinner, so I turned my phone off and got comfy and read for a couple of hours.  I decided to start  with "Pompeii" because this is the first of a trilogy and if I like it then I will have two more to look forward to.  It starts well, although I'm not all that keen on the torturing of slaves.  Otherwise, so far so good.  But because I had my phone off I missed a call from my real estate agent.  I heard the message this morning and it's good news -- the house is going on the market!  Perfect weekend for it too, since it's a long weekend and it should be nice most of it.  Fingers crossed we get multiple offers!

I need to send out a reminder to my reunion dinner/golf tournament people.  I got another check today, which is good and another name -- people are pretty laid back about registering and the checks are coming in dribs and drabs.  Oh well, it's a good excuse to walk to the bank and today since I'm up that way I can stop into Trader Joe's, which is my favorite specialty grocery store.  It's not one I am willing to visit on the weekends because parking is a nightmare and it's always so crowded.  If I can go at lunchtime on a weekday it's much better.  I can't pick up any frozen things, but today I can get some live basil and my new favorite things -  individual brie cheese "bites" that I just lllllove!  They also have a good flower selection but that will have to wait.

Here's another Thursday that feels like a Friday.  And it's super quiet because the students are getting ready for finals.  I proctor the last one next Tuesday.  I need to dig deep and get productive.  I am going to start writing a manual today for the new Histo slide viewer I put together.  The annotation system is incredibly difficult to decipher even for me, so imagine the faculty trying it out.  This way if I put together a manual I can save myself hours of frustrating one on one.  I am not a good teacher.  Seriously.  It's best if we acknowledge our shortcomings and move on, right?  But if I can have a little description typed out for them things should run more smoothly and there will be less frustration from all.  Or at least that's my hope.

No comments: