18 May, 2012

Old dog, new trick!

When I moved into this apartment .. 14 months ago!! .. I bought a "porch potty" for Tinkerbell, which is essentially a tray with a piece of perforated plastic between it and a piece of artificial turf.  You put absorbent pads in the bottom of the tray and the idea is that the dog uses that patch of grass when the human is unable to take the dog outside.  I had it on the balcony and would from time to time try to get her interested in using it, to no avail.  Last spring she would lay on it in the sun.  Then we had that nasty incident last summer where I found damp patches under the window which I assumed was from a leak but actually turned out to be Tink.  I could never figure out when she would do that - if it was in the middle of the night or while I was gone during the day.  But once I concluded that it was indeed her and had shampooed the carpet a couple of times, I moved the potty patch from outside to just that spot.  Yesterday when I walked in the door I smelled something bad.  The good news is that she used the potty patch!  Since I haven't been checking it every day and since it's been very nice and the doors and windows have been open and the fan going, I am not sure exactly when she did this.  Now I will be checking mornings and when I get home to see when she is using it.  But it's just great news that she finally figured it out!  Now I know that if I'm sick, like a couple weeks ago when I had that nasty stomach bug that had me begging for death, I can just send her to the potty patch and forgo the wobbling stroll around the garden. 

As I said, it was chillier yesterday but I did run in my shorts, only I started out with a jacket.  It took a while to get warmed up, but it as a great run.  Today is Bike to Work Day, which means the trail is bound to be full of idiots who don't normally ride.  That'll give my Friday run an extra kick of adrenalin. 

I seriously considered not coming in today.  I have had a sinus headache since yesterday afternoon.  But I didn't want to have to come in this weekend to get my running clothes, so I sucked it up and came in.  I hate sinus headaches.  There doesn't seem to be anything I can take that will work on them.  Except a steam bath.  I laid low yesterday evening.  I had a nice hot shower, which gave me a little relief, then had a couple glasses of wine and watched a little TV and read.  I can't knit when I have a headache like that.  I was sure it would be gone this morning, but no luck.  It's very very quiet around here.  If it's not better after my run maybe I'll skip out early.  It's hard to concentrate when my head hurts like this. 

I MUST work this weekend and spend less time between the pink sheets at my happy place.  I should devote the entire day tomorrow to chores and then I can have Sunday to laze around, get a little pampering maybe.  I need a manicure for sure and if I'm going to be doing chores around the house I'd better do it before I get my nails done!  There's motivation.  Plus, it's not going to be very nice this weekend.

No comments: