22 October, 2012

A very hilly race

Sunday was the Dawg Dash and we really lucked out with the weather.  It had been raining off and on since Friday, sometimes hard.  But the morning was mild and the really dark clouds stayed over the mountains all morning, not moving in until late afternoon.  There were about 4,000 runners for both the 5K and 10K races combined, plus plenty of dogs.  Because the stadium is being renovated the entire race was run on the upper campus which is on an incline.  I was feeling pretty good Sunday morning, my cough being mostly gone.  But we started out up hill.  Ugh.  I hate running hills and it is a very hard way to start a race.  I managed to not panic and made it to the top of the incline where the course turned west and then south, which is down hill.  Oh and we were all just flying down 15th and it was wonderful!  I knew that sooner or later we would be turning back east into the campus and have to make up all this flying down with a lot of hard up.  And indeed we did.  There were even a couple of places with stairs!  Holy cow.  It was the most difficult 5K I have ever run.  Needless to say I wasn't breaking any personal bests.  I am proud to say that I made it, I did have to walk up a couple of the steepest parts of the hills and of course the stairs, but I was strong over the finish line and that's what counts.  And it was fun, of course.  There's another run on  December 9th which I am seriously considering doing.  I know it will be only a week after I get back from my vacation but I think it would be a perfect way to keep from doing my post-vacation week of pouting and eating and drinking way too much.  I will check out the route.  If it's not too hilly I will seriously consider it.

I was quite busy this weekend.  I finished up that gorgeous little neck warmer I started last week on a whim.  It's called "Holly" and it's from a book that Monika brought in to noon knitting a few weeks ago called "Essentially  Feminine Knits".  There are a lot of lovely patterns in there and this cowl was super fast and not too difficult.  I mean, it's lace and I was knitting while watching TV, so it's not that complicated. 

The Huskies played Saturday night and it was a terrible and ugly game.  Since I had to get up early Sunday I just went to bed and gave up on it.  Ugly ugly game.  And then Sunday I stunk it up in my fantasy league.  I do have one more chance for points tonight but considering that I only have 44.93 points and my opponent has 106.10, I don't think there's much chance there at all that my defense is going to get me the win.  Ah well, that just means that there will be someone tied with me for first place.  I had all my good players on a bye this week so that's taken care of.  I should be golden for the rest of the season.  Let's hope.  I would dearly love to win this thing this year.

No comments: