17 January, 2013

A second chance

In the cold morning yesterday, I wished I had put on a hat.  All of my hats are in a box on a shelf in my (only) closet.  I need to find a way to make them more accessible but that's going to have to wait another couple of weeks until I get rid of the current wall units and dresser and change to the new, smaller pieces.  Then perhaps I can find a way to either display them or make them easier to get at.  But I digress -- I was thinking about hats and decided I would like a new one.  I have had a pattern in my Ravelry library for a few months.  A cute hat, very different from the usual berets and cloches and such that I make for myself from time to time.  I don't even know if it'll look all that good on me, but it has been nagging to be made.  However, it calls for super bulky yarn, which I simply do not use any more.  I think of it as the yarn of beginners.  It's colorful, it's easy to see your mistakes and the product appears quickly.  So my choice to make this hat was go purchase some bulky yarn or double up some yarn I already have in hopes it will come out to the right gauge.  But yesterday I thought of a third solution - recycling one of my older sweaters, all of which are sitting in my office.  Perfect!  There was a gorgeous subject right on top, in all of its bulky glory AND in my favorite colors!  I started unraveling it as soon as I got my evening chores done and cast on.  It's moving along quickly - of course - and very cute already.  I hope I will wear it.  I am knitting it directly from the sweater - in other words, I just got the unraveling going and rather than roll it into a ball I am turning straw into gold.  If I don't finish it up tonight though I don't think I'm going to want to take it with me on the train like that.  I will have to give that some thought.

Tonight Tink will have her first public transportation ride.  I have to take her to the kennel tonight and taking the bus is the logical choice.  It will be an adventure.  She's such an attention hound, I suspect she'll just love it.

My sniffles are well under control and I wish I could say that for the rest of the office.  I am thankful that it didn't get worse.  One day of the blahs and I kicked it! 

No comments: