24 January, 2013

The distraction of anachronisms

I really love historical fiction and my latest audiobook is set in 1699 in the colonies.  The story centers around a magistrate and his oh so logical young clerk and the trial of a witch.  It is a large book and it is broken into four parts for the audio version.  During part two I began to be aware of some glaring anachronisms, like medical treatments and diagnoses not known at that time, and the description of garments that wouldn't have been worn then, ridiculously modern turns of phrase - things like that.  It is so distracting to me!  The story is good though, so I will finish listening.  I just prefer more accuracy.

My new hat was a big hit at noon knitting and it was suggested to me that I make a cowl to go with it.  That is a perfect use for the rest of that sweater and I couldn't wait to get home and get started.  I chose a simple pattern because the yarn has a thick and thin quality that does not work well with patterned stitches.  It is a few rows of ribbing and a few rows of plain knitting.  It'll be perfect with the hat.

It rained yesterday for the first time in 12 days and it has warmed up some.  I absolutely must run today and so I am glad it's warmer.  I've got only a little more than two weeks to get into shape for that race.  I have to stop being so lazy.  Now that football is over - well, all except the Super Bowl - I will have more time on the weekends to get out and get moving.  Tink will be very happy.

No comments: